How To Make Hay Stretch

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id check with them first, obviously. Find a good one and let them talk about hay (I LOVE hay) and how the growing conditions were compared to normal, and the drought. If you have any storage space, feel free to put some up while the putting is good if you're planning on getting goating soon. It's not Feb yet!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
For square bales, I have never had delivery, we just hitch up the trailer and go get them. If there was no hay available locally, an hour and half would be nothing. In the 2011 drought, we drove several hours to get square bales.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too. I pick up 99% of the time. Many years back I had a load delivered & they unloaded!! Since it was 300 or so bales it was worth the little they charged. That option became very costly as their fees increased. Come to think about it -- it was also THE most beautiful hay I've ever been able to buy. Orchard from out west, green and wonderful. After that year there was an economy issue for years, gas almost $5 a gal and so on. I still dream about that hay! 😁 :old now I don't buy that much at a time.

Reminds me, need to ask if/when they are getting those big squares....like 700#. I don't even take those off the trailer, unless I break them up first. Easier to dole out than pulling from a round.

Latest posts