How to tame a wild beef calf

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
but if they want out, nothings going to stop them.

Rammy..you're absolutely right.....any cow/calf, bull or steer 'can' go thru/under/ or over any fence at any time if it really wants to. Most tho, are perfectly content to stay put as long as they have plenty of forage and as long as mating doesn't play into the picture.

Every once in awhile tho, you'll run into a highhead that just won't calm down..walks around the pasture with it's head up, looking around and will run every time a human enters the pasture and even starts it's way. It's a cullable trait. It's also an inheritable trait. Her progeny are apt to be the same way. Those kind take a one way trip down the road at my place, no matter how good a calf they raise or anything else.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rammy..you're absolutely right.....any cow/calf, bull or steer 'can' go thru/under/ or over any fence at any time if it really wants to. Most tho, are perfectly content to stay put as long as they have plenty of forage and as long as mating doesn't play into the picture.

Every once in awhile tho, you'll run into a highhead that just won't calm down..walks around the pasture with it's head up, looking around and will run every time a human enters the pasture and even starts it's way. It's a cullable trait. It's also an inheritable trait. Her progeny are apt to be the same way. Those kind take a one way trip down the road at my place, no matter how good a calf they raise or anything else.

You are right. Thats why Freezer Queen is pre-destined to be on my BBQ this fall. :) With all the information I have gotten from everyone who has replied so far, I think I can hopefully calm these others down. When I can get them to come in when its feeding time, I think it will be ok to let them out into the larger field. I may try bread as a treat. Ive seen where others have used that to get them to trust you.
Tonight Im going to do the suggestions about touching them when feeding. Hopefully in a few more days they will change their mind about me. :)

Rammy

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha I forgot about bread. When I had cows all we had to do was shake a bread sack and they came running. We got the old bread from the day old bread store.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the suggestions are valid and most are from people with cattle so they know. I will take exception with the "angus are wild " mentality, though. We have them, just commercial cattle, and don't find them to be any worse than any other in general. We have had some that are "high-headed" and looking for a way out, but have had that in most all the different breeds and crosses from time to time. The worst one we ever had was a hereford heifer that we bought bred. She would take off for oshgosh as soon as she saw you. We ran her with out quietest and calmest cows and after nearly a year, with her raising her calf, she made the mistake of coming in the pen and my son was in the field with the truck and he drove it right up to the opening and we got her caught and on the trailer. Her calf was skittish but not near as bad as her.
Most of our cattle will come running to a bucket. It doesn't matter whether my son or I call. We sound different but they know that being called is a good thing, "oh my, we get feed....." If you are doing the calling being consistent is good but use your regular voice. We call, "hey girls, comeon cows," and we also whistle sometimes. They hear the truck and come....

How long have you been trying to "tame" them? It will take several weeks at least to where they are comfortable to not spook if they were raised on cows and just weaned and sold to you. Yes there are some that are more skittish by nature. But keeping it separate is not good. They take comfort in the "herd mentality".

One thing about freezer queen.... the high strung attitude may make her the worst candidate for the freezer. The high adrenaline will adversely affect the meat. She would be my last choice to keep to eat.

I also have some dairy cows that I raise nurse calves on. Jerseys, guernseys and crosses. But there is one calf that is on one of the cows that is a nut case and I am around them everyday twice a day. Go figure... the rest I have to shove out of they way to get feed in the trough for the nurse cows to come into the pen for.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
All the suggestions are valid and most are from people with cattle so they know. I will take exception with the "angus are wild " mentality, though. We have them, just commercial cattle, and don't find them to be any worse than any other in general. We have had some that are "high-headed" and looking for a way out, but have had that in most all the different breeds and crosses from time to time. The worst one we ever had was a hereford heifer that we bought bred. She would take off for oshgosh as soon as she saw you. We ran her with out quietest and calmest cows and after nearly a year, with her raising her calf, she made the mistake of coming in the pen and my son was in the field with the truck and he drove it right up to the opening and we got her caught and on the trailer. Her calf was skittish but not near as bad as her.
Most of our cattle will come running to a bucket. It doesn't matter whether my son or I call. We sound different but they know that being called is a good thing, "oh my, we get feed....." If you are doing the calling being consistent is good but use your regular voice. We call, "hey girls, comeon cows," and we also whistle sometimes. They hear the truck and come....

How long have you been trying to "tame" them? It will take several weeks at least to where they are comfortable to not spook if they were raised on cows and just weaned and sold to you. Yes there are some that are more skittish by nature. But keeping it separate is not good. They take comfort in the "herd mentality".

One thing about freezer queen.... the high strung attitude may make her the worst candidate for the freezer. The high adrenaline will adversely affect the meat. She would be my last choice to keep to eat.

I also have some dairy cows that I raise nurse calves on. Jerseys, guernseys and crosses. But there is one calf that is on one of the cows that is a nut case and I am around them everyday twice a day. Go figure... the rest I have to shove out of they way to get feed in the trough for the nurse cows to come into the pen for.[/QUOTE

Im just mad at Freezer Queen. When she ran thru the fence the first day, she got in with the neighbors horses, escaped into the farmers field next to that, and he got her into a corral. She crawled out of that by going under the corral gate and got in with his cows.
Ive been trying to tame them for about a week and a half. I use my regular voice when calling. I think these were pulled off their mother and brought up to me. I dont think they were handled at all.
I was able to touch them a little last night but they are still pretty spooky.
The chicken yard doesnt have much grass in it. How much grain should I feed? I also have hay Im giving them.

Rammy

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
posted by farmerjanAll the suggestions are valid and most are from people with cattle so they know. I will take exception with the "angus are wild " mentality, though. We have them, just commercial cattle, and don't find them to be any worse than any other in general. We have had some that are "high-headed" and looking for a way out, but have had that in most all the different breeds and crosses from time to time. The worst one we ever had was a hereford heifer that we bought bred. She would take off for oshgosh as soon as she saw you. We ran her with out quietest and calmest cows and after nearly a year, with her raising her calf, she made the mistake of coming in the pen and my son was in the field with the truck and he drove it right up to the opening and we got her caught and on the trailer. Her calf was skittish but not near as bad as her.

I also have some dairy cows that I raise nurse calves on. Jerseys, guernseys and crosses. But there is one calf that is on one of the cows that is a nut case and I am around them everyday twice a day. Go figure... the rest I have to shove out of they way to get feed in the trough for the nurse cows to come into the pen for.

posted by RammyIm just mad at Freezer Queen. When she ran thru the fence the first day, she got in with the neighbirs horses, escaped into the farmers feild next to that, and he git her into a corral. She crawled out of that by going under the corral gate and got in with his cows.
Ive been trying to tame them fir about a week and a half. I use my regular voice when calling. I think these were pulled off their mother and brought up to me. I dont think they were handled at all.
I was able to touch them a little last night but they are still pretty spooky.
The chicken yard doesnt have much grass in it. How much grain should I feed? I also have hay Im giving them.

Rammy
(I fixed the ubb tags)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about my opinion on Angus @farmerjan. I tried to make it clear that I knew everyone didn’t share the same opinion. I don’t plan on ever purchasing another. ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nor do I, and for the same reason.
In the 60s, Angus were definitely not known for their docility.
About 1966, maybe '67, I went in debt to my father to buy a registered Angus heifer. A more stubborn, troublesome and more savagerous beast I've never seen. Bred her twice to a good Angus bull one of my neighbors had. Her 1st calf was my first bottle calf. Her 2nd calf was my last bottle calf.
I suppose I should thank her tho. She made me immune to black hide fever.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nor do I, and for the same reason.
In the 60s, Angus were definitely not known for their docility.
About 1966, maybe '67, I went in debt to my father to buy a registered Angus heifer. A more stubborn, troublesome and more savagerous beast I've never seen. Bred her twice to a good Angus bull one of my neighbors had. Her 1st calf was my first bottle calf. Her 2nd calf was my last bottle calf.
I suppose I should thank her tho. She made me immune to black hide fever.

Thats a good story. :)