How young can they be outside in the cold?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to check on this.

Have a couple kits. Wanted to double check how young they can be outside in the cold? (And its winter here.)

These are about 8 weeks old. I don't want to take any chances and so I thought I'd double check.

This isn't my first time with rabbits, but it somehow went such that my other rabbits were older when the cold hit.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drafts are worse than cold, typically. As long as they’ve got a good spot out of the wind and aren’t getting a major temp change (like going from warm inside to out in the bitter cold), they should be fine.
Kits born in the cooler months usually have nice thick winter coats in by the time they’re ready to wean.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Drafts are worse than cold, typically. As long as they’ve got a good spot out of the wind and aren’t getting a major temp change (like going from warm inside to out in the bitter cold), they should be fine.
Kits born in the cooler months usually have nice thick winter coats in by the time they’re ready to wean.
Thanks.

So by weaning age the danger should be over right?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its honestly amazing how small they can be and be fine in the cold! :O After reading your comments I'd been observing this and you guys are right!