Howdy from Texas

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read once where some people got rid of kudzu by letting pigs get a hold of it. If they can get rid of kudzu I reckon they can take care of about anything you throw at them.
Kudzu--The plant that ate the South.

Cattle, will also eat kudzu, and get fat on it. Probably not as heartily as goats or pigs, but I have even seen cattle hay made from Kudzu in Alabama. The good thing about swine is they would most likely even get rid of the roots and tubers of unwanted plants.

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks! The breed of rabbits is still TBD. I had considered trying angoras for fiber (thought that would be a neat project for the kids especially), but the more I research I'm getting the impression they won't do well outdoors in Texas and I'm not especially inclined toward indoor bunnies at this point. I've run across a breed developed here in Texas that's supposed to tolerate the heat better than most, and I want to learn more about that. I'd also like to get the kids involved in 4-H and find out more about what breeds are popular here so maybe we'd have the option to pursue show rabbits as well as using some for meat.