Hutch Burn how to heal?

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! I have recently found out that my buck has hutch burn/urine burn (I am assuming that is the same thing) I looked online and I can't really find any information on how to cure it. The only thing I could find was applying Vaseline to the genitals...Is this safe? I am always skeptical when trying out new things on my bunnies. I am going to try taking out the tray on his hutch and letting the poop/pee just fall the the floor, will this help? Is there anything special I should have him eat? Also I was thinking about a bath, or maybe just a warm wet rag to gently clean his behind? Hopefully ya'll have ideas and tips for me...Thanks in advance:)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't give him a full bath but a wet clothe can help. Removing anything they can pee on and sit in is helpful also.
@Bunnylady do you have any other suggestions?
Does he have open sores or is just irritated?

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, There are no open sores...it is just looks red and irritated with scabs.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I used to use Utter Balm on my rabbits when they had sores on their feet. Utter balm is animal grade. I don’t think Vaseline is the best option. It could make him sick. Rabbits are pretty fastidious when it comes to their grooming habits. You can buy utter balm in most pharmacy sections of stores, even many grocery stores, or stores that sell animal care products. I have heard that baths can stress a rabbit out to the point they die. I wouldn’t use anything more than a slightly damp cloth. Just damp enough to wash the area. Hope that helps.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello! I have recently found out that my buck has hutch burn/urine burn (I am assuming that is the same thing) I looked online and I can't really find any information on how to cure it. The only thing I could find was applying Vaseline to the genitals...Is this safe? I am always skeptical when trying out new things on my bunnies. I am going to try taking out the tray on his hutch and letting the poop/pee just fall the the floor, will this help? Is there anything special I should have him eat? Also I was thinking about a bath, or maybe just a warm wet rag to gently clean his behind? Hopefully ya'll have ideas and tips for me...Thanks in advance:)
Here’s a site that might help. http://systemmadrid.com/2015/10/01/5-things-rabbit-owners-need-to-know-about-hutch-burn/

https://fatvox.com/what-is-hutch-burn-and-how-should-your-rabbit-be-treated-for-it/

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh thank you...I just sent my question and then got your link :)
I’m sure that would work as well. I’ve used both of these brands and had good luck. I did goop it on as well. I’m sure a small amount would work well. But it would take them much longer to clean a glob off than a light coating of the ointment.

Attachments

• 0953A52B-F2C4-4E9F-B32C-E37777DCA742.png
    0953A52B-F2C4-4E9F-B32C-E37777DCA742.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 3F356356-01A7-4B7E-92E8-68643581A349.png
    3F356356-01A7-4B7E-92E8-68643581A349.png
    729.6 KB · Views: 162

Latest posts