I need some information on raising Nigerian Dwarf goats.

TheCluckyClucker

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I may be getting some NDs but I need to learn about them first. If anyone can give me any information that would be great and I have a few specific questions.
1. Is $150 too much for 1 intact buckling?

2. Do I need 2 goats or can I keep just 1?

3 Do they need hay all year, ir just in winter?

4. What all do I feed them?

5. How much space does 1 goat need?

6. What kind of structure is suitable?

7. How much dies castration cost?

8. Is it better to castrate them?

9. Are ND bucks (or wethers) typically aggresive?

10. Should I just wait for a doe?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uh...

1. Cost varies wildly across the country... at a guess, one that will not be used for breeding, I would say free to 150 is the range.

2. I think you need 2. They are super social. Unless this one will live with you in the house....

3.depends on where you live and what pasture you have. Mostly hay is fed free choice year round, but the goats eat close to zero if there is lots of stuff for them to eat (bushes, other plants). Then they eat 100% hay, or close to that in the winter (or your dry season... depending on where you are), when other food isn't available.

4. Full grown goats without a job (not pregnant, not milking, no backpack trips or cart pulling) do best on close to 100% grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, Bermuda, coastal... whatever you have local), and a handful or so of a maintenance goat pellets every night to lock them up and keep them tame.

You also want to free feed a goat mineral mix, loose ground type, not a mineral block.

Some areas of the world need selenium/vitamin E or vit. D, given once a month in paste form. And some areas of the world need the goat to be given a copper pill every 6 months to 3 years... depending on your area.

5. Eh... depends on what you want with the goat.. what are your goals? Do you want the goat to eat all mesquite seedlings? Do you want the goat to not touch plants important to wildlife? Do you want to pay as little as possible for supplemental feed?

6. Totally depends on the climate, and the predators

7. No idea... never paid for it. All you need is a clean sharp knife.

8. If you will not be breeding, way easier to have it castrated. Castrated goats/dogs/horses are way more obedient, easier to train and easier to manage

9. With goats, any goat.... they can definitely get an attitude. In this regard, think of them like a dog. Yes, a good dog is part personality, but a bunch of training. A good goat, is part personality, but a bunch of training. Never let them get away with bad behavior simply because they are little and cute.

10. Well... the nice thing with a doe is you can milk her and eat or sell the babies... and she is still happy to remove brush etc. Of course a good doe is usually way more expensive than a wether, for that very reason. And, with a doe you want to be selective. Some does will lactate for 4 months... amd some for 2 years. Huge difference.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah... I turned my phone sideways! ;)

Ok... Arkansas...

So... you need lots of shade for the goats, dog proof fencing, and then a night pen hat has lots of ventilation so you don't cook the goats.

What predators do you have besides dogs? Whatever they are... keep them out.

Usually, except for dogs (which is why you need a dog proof fence), the predators that get goats are usually active at night. Which is why the goats need a good secure night pen to keep out ??? Bobcat, mountain lion and coyotes for you?