Ideas on how to get a halter on a grown animal?

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The bull that is staying with us is sooo easy. I can go right up & halter him. My cow isn't used to being handled but will now run up to me. I keep the halter within sight & let her sniff & rub it on her. she isn't happy about me putting it on, it's just going to take some time. She is easier than the goat though..:rolleyes: Jody

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hey there, pokecow

i check out you your site very nice! what kind of honey? and dexter cows give milk?? if they do how many times do you milk them?

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hey there, it was a true question? can you milk a dexter cow like a dairy cow? and it would be by hand???? if i can find a cow that doesn't have to be milked 3 to 2 times a day. well 2 won't be so bad. i'm thinking of getting one. i don't have one now because my hubby says that is to much troulbe. not that he helps with the cows i have. i think since i have had them from last may he feed them 1 time for me and i had to pre feed the buckets so all he had to do is call them and put the pail down, so do you see why i asked. mare:)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Any cow that has had a calf gives milk. You can milk any cow giving milk, different breeds have different tests (butterfat, protein, etc.). The big thing with a beef breed is they don't give as much and depending on the breed may not be cooperative. Dexters, from what I understand, are easier to work with and can be a dual purpose cow (meaning some milk them). A breed that is popular for family cows is jerseys. They are smaller. Don't give as much as say a holstein and are generally nice to work with. If you only want the milk from one milking you can put a calf on the cow for the other milking. They should be milked twice a day roughly 12 hours apart.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think anyone getting any animal for the first time needs to do thier home work and understand what they are getting and what kind of care that animal will need before it EVER comes home. .. that said..

My neighbors have had Dexters for years and I feel in love with them. I play with thier cattle as much as I play with mine. They are great!. Just like anything though you can cer back yard breeder junk where the breeders was simply re-producing or you can get good stuff where they breeder cared what they produce. Jeff has both in his heard.

Here was my experiance. I have hand milked Jerseys.. will NEVER do that again. The teats are to small for hand milking on avrage and the orfases are often small as well. this makes for a miserable milking time for the human. I have milked Gerney and found them very suitable in teat size and temperment. Holstiens are ok, but they give so much milk you are there hand milking way longer than you want to be.

The Dexters I have been exposed to with hand milking gave a good amount of milk. Thier butter fat was also good. They had nice sized teats and were easy to milk. The temperment on those cows blew me away. Awwesome cows. They even let me around them after calving and didn't really know me at first. Thier bulls, both of them are very manageable. I don't like bulls, I AI, however I have one of my neighbors bulls here now untill they get moved and just adore Willie.
If you are thinking about buying a Dexter for a first cow. I highly recomend it. Spend time with your cow before you pay for her, and talk to many breeders and look at many cattle before you buy. No sale barns for the newbies..

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I chose Dexter because of the temperments, size & dual purpose. They give roughly 2-4 gallons of milk, way more than my family can use daily. I am planning on milking 1x a day & putting the calf on the rest. I will only breed long legged. I may buy & eat a short legged one, we shall see. My breeder goes for temperment 1st, then to meat & milk. The rotten ones go to the freezer as soon as they are large enough, I plan on following that rule. My cow hadn't been handled (she will be 2 in May) but is willing. I've had her since Sept & I can now halter, lay across(not full wight just my legs on one side, arms on the other surrounding her), run my hands all over her body, pull her tail, fiddle with her udder, poke her ears..rub her eyes, more every day. I was quite apprehensive when they left the Bull with me but he has the sweetest temperment. Loves to be brushed & petted, very respectful & gentle around me but will toss the goat 1/2 way across the pasture & run the cats out. I will miss him when he goes to his new "career" next week. With him gone I think Rose will really make progress in her handling though she will be lonely till she calves. I plan on handling the calf from day 1 so it will be "bomb proof" as an animal can be. Look online for Dexter info, so you can see the pros & cons of the breed. As to the honey, it is mostly blackberry/wildflower. Next year I plan on having more hives, at least 2 at the organic CSA a couple of miles away & 3 more here. I can't certify "organic" honey as you can't control where the bees go but won't use any chems in my hives or heat my honey. My husband doesn't help at all with anything outsice..it's a chore to get him to help me put the ladder up to clean the gutters! If I need someone to feed for me I call my Daughter to come over. Jody

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You may want to read up on that long legged short legged thing. I just bought a Dexter out of a long legged cow that does carry the bulldog gene and a short legged bull that doesn't. Most breeders have them blood typed.. thats really the only way to know.

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know, I was generalizing. You have to investigate all pedigrees & info for any type of any animal breeding. Rose is & bred to chondo free. I just don't want to deal with the short leg problems longterm in my small operation. I have limited space & it takes the same $ & energy to raise/train/breed animals that have problems as it does to feed ones that don't. Same for my decision to eat whoever has a bad temperment. If one is responsible & does the homework on the breed (as anyone thinking of getting any type animal SHOULD) they can make the decision works for them. :D