If not ADGA, then what?

oaksandiron

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bought 3 NDs registered or registerable with the the ADGA, with all the right paperwork for transfer and registration. One is our buck, one is a 2 yo doe, and one is her wether gotten to be the buck's companion. Originally there was also the doe's doeling, but she got hung up in the fence and we lost her. We don't plan to register the wether without compelling evidence of benefit.

Reading about the issues facing the ADGA I am wondering if it is a waste of time.

Do I have any other options for registration? I paid only a nominal fee for these goaties, but there was a tremendous appeal in veing "legitimate" with a registration. I am also a goat newb.

I will not be showing. What is the true value of having registered animals?

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bought 3 NDs registered or registerable with the the ADGA, with all the right paperwork for transfer and registration. One is our buck, one is a 2 yo doe, and one is her wether gotten to be the buck's companion. Originally there was also the doe's doeling, but she got hung up in the fence and we lost her. We don't plan to register the wether without compelling evidence of benefit.

Reading about the issues facing the ADGA I am wondering if it is a waste of time.

Do I have any other options for registration? I paid only a nominal fee for these goaties, but there was a tremendous appeal in veing "legitimate" with a registration. I am also a goat newb.

I will not be showing. What is the true value of having registered animals?
Imo goats without at least decent conformation should not be sold as registered/registerable. The value of having registered animals is simply the fact that you could “possibly” sell the babies for more money. The fact that the market is flooded with registered animals that don’t fit breed standards just brings shame on the breed and horrible health problems (I.e a steep rump can cause kidding problems)

BTW i am NOT saying your goats are horrible (I haven’t even seen pics😂) just saying there’s no point in registering them if they don’t have decent conformation and improve the breed. You aren’t going to show you say? Well then without any wins you probably won’t be able to sell your registered babies for more than unregistered.

oaksandiron

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This makes sense, all of it. I am still learning good conformation and how to judge udders, so I think the easy answer is to just skip the rehistration altogether, and when I am ready to deal in registered animals I can be a lot more deliberate and educated about it.

oaksandiron

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
BTW i am NOT saying your goats are horrible (I haven’t even seen pics😂) just saying there’s no point in registering them if they don’t have decent conformation and improve the breed.

This does beg another question: is there a place here in the forums that I could post pics of my goats for conformation analysis? I am not one to get my feelers hurt, and it is the best way for me to learn about "real life" conformation.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Right here....post away. We don't have a designated area. You can add pics on any thread.

Registration -- well, yes, only the best is preferred. The fact is that many feel this is the "only" way to track lineage but, any record you keep can do that. A form can be used by any breeder for same thing. It's just not publicly recorded. If showing, those elite specimens of the breed, the shows require registered animals.

Your own goal & uses should be considered for the expense. I've spent years with horse registrations, $$ for shows. But those were my mini horses and a different ballgame. It was worth it! With my goats, yes, years back I started with high quality (& high $$) Boer goats. That was back when they were first coming to USA...Yeah, about 30 yrs ago. Now, so many lines have been mixed/watered down, and I'm old as dirt, so not showing -- I keep a non registered herd. Oh, some are registered but I buy "body" production mostly. My meat goats are for that -- meat sales. My dairy goats, for good milk & reliable milkers. I've been there & now I just enjoy my herds for use and health. My background allows me to make choices for conformation and use for my current purpose.

Registrations have a purpose. More selective & critical with some animals than others, IMO.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This does beg another question: is there a place here in the forums that I could post pics of my goats for conformation analysis? I am not one to get my feelers hurt, and it is the best way for me to learn about "real life" conformation.
Please post here and I will do my best to help you out

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
If registration is important to you, send in the paperwork and get the in your name, then dual register them with AGS and that will be that-no more fuss unless you want to register kids. Kid buyers will take the paperwork and deal with the fuss themselves when they register their new animals from you.
And if adga tanks, your personal goats will still be covered.
There is no requirement for them to be attractive to be registered-that's a show and appraisal thing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This makes sense, all of it. I am still learning good conformation and how to judge udders, so I think the easy answer is to just skip the rehistration altogether, and when I am ready to deal in registered animals I can be a lot more deliberate and educated about it.

I started with 4 bred mixed breed sheep in 2015. I learned the sheep first, then started moving towards registered Katahdin sheep. I have 30 ewes, 8 are registered Katahdin, 5 are registered White Dorpers. Now I’m learning the process of registered sheep!

oaksandiron

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I started with 4 bred mixed breed sheep in 2015. I learned the sheep first, then started moving towards registered Katahdin sheep. I have 30 ewes, 8 are registered Katahdin, 5 are registered White Dorpers. Now I’m learning the process of registered sheep!
That sounds pretty logical! I have to keep reminding myself that this is my season of discovery. Frankly, breeding and milking goats may not stay on my list; so far I love handling the sheep so much better!

Latest posts