If you have livestock guardians and you have a family dog..

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So if you have a male and female guardian, and they are intact, will that cause problems with the family dog? I'm sure if the female guardian goes into heat, and our male family dog (who isn't intact) would smell her, would the male guardian get more territorial? Thank you for any help you can help me with. Oh and I don't have guardian dogs yet, but we are thinking about getting 1 or 2 and I want to get something's figured out before we would get them. Have a great day and take care!

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't had any personal experience with this, but it's a very good question. I'll be interested to hear some experienced opinions.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't either, and it just scared me when I thought about that. I wouldn't want it to where I would have to get rid of a dog because I didn't do my research!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like any dog a bitch in heat is a bitch in heat.
LGD's should be acquainted with house dogs but truly they are a "species" of their own. There are a few that allow their family dogs in the livestock fields but this is something I stress strongly that people should not do, as a general rule. LGD's OWN their field and it belongs to them. They should not have to share with pets.
They have a job to do , a job that obviously the family pet cannot do so why have them in. Outside of the field is another story and all should respect each other.
A bitch in heat does not make a LGD any more territorial.
However she may still try to mate with whatever will come along.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Like any dog a bitch in heat is a bitch in heat.
LGD's should be acquainted with house dogs but truly they are a "species" of their own. There are a few that allow their family dogs in the livestock fields but this is something I stress strongly that people should not do, as a general rule. LGD's OWN their field and it belongs to them. They should not have to share with pets.
They have a job to do , a job that obviously the family pet cannot do so why have them in. Outside of the field is another story and all should respect each other.
A bitch in heat does not make a LGD any more territorial.
However she may still try to mate with whatever will come along.

Thank you, I was hoping to hear from you! I love the way you raise your LGD's. This all makes so much sense, again thank you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Australian Shepherd can't go in the back yard, because not only does it belong to Paris, our GP, but Paris HATES Polly, the Aussie. They must stay separated because it would mean death to Polly. I think this is what you mean. When we move, Polly will have a fenced yard, the rest will belong to Paris.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Aussie is still learning to herd and has gotten pretty good on sheep. My neighbor likes us to put her on his cattle to move them from one paddock to another even though the cows pretty much move on their own to get away from the barking. :) His LGD (of unknown heritage) doesn't like her being there so he has to get him out of the pasture before we let the pup in. They are fine together when they aren't in the pasture except the Aussie wants to play more than the other dog.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
All ours get along outside the fields except our F pyr Amy. She is fine with our one dog but she HATES the GSD. All our LGD's are fine with the cats too just NOT in their field.
When one of our housedogs is in heat it is very hard on our LGD males.

FarmersDigest

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our Australian Shepherd can't go in the back yard, because not only does it belong to Paris, our GP, but Paris HATES Polly, the Aussie. They must stay separated because it would mean death to Polly. I think this is what you mean. When we move, Polly will have a fenced yard, the rest will belong to Paris.

It does make it a little stressful when dogs don't like each other! Not much you can do about it though, right? ;) We will have to make sure the fence is always secure. Thank you for responding!

Latest posts