I'm in way over my head.

Jego

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, I had no idea goats were so hard to keep alive.

Can anyone tell me if goats have a lymph node on the side, behind their leg?

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Google. Goat lymph node anatomy. See if that helps.

I'm assuming you have a problem -- but, not sure as you don't say. Hope the graphs on referenced helps.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think almost all of us start in over our heads. This is the place where you get thrown a life saver to help keep you from drowning.
We have our ups and downs, sometimes we can save the animal, sometimes we we can’t.
Please give us a more detailed description and explanation of what is going on. I’m not a goat person but lots of knowledgeable folks here are and are willing to help.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does she have a lump there? Is it hard or soft? Most goat folks give a vaccination behind the front leg, kind of over the ribcage. Many times the vaccination will leave a knot there. Hope that's alll it is.

Jego

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does she have a lump there? Is it hard or soft? Most goat folks give a vaccination behind the front leg, kind of over the ribcage. Many times the vaccination will leave a knot there. Hope that's alll it is.
Yes. I wrote a very long message but ended up deleting it because it was confusing and I was exhausted.

It is a very large, somewhat movable lump behind the front leg but right above the ribcage.

Long story short, I have these new kids with no details about their past, their age, or their breed and zero knowledge on goats. I have battled scours, biting lice, worms, and bottle feeding and I'm so freaking tired, I'm at my wits end.

I am worried it's CL now and can't figure out if there are any lymph bodes there.

Jego

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Shoot. It is the area of mediastinal node in this graphic.

I don't think I am cut out for this. These little babies are so sweet, but I've been eating, sleeping, breathing goats the past week.

I guess I'll have to call the vet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230627-160155_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20230627-160155_Kindle.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 99

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we'll try to "help" with some info. While it could be CL, it is isn't something that I've seen show very often in young goats. It is contagious by contact with oozed material, and is manageable to an extent. They can sometimes have internal formations if severe. For now, let's talk about the spot you see.

With CL the matter inside this fester is like a soft cheese, thick. The site will fester and break open...think huge pimple. Before it breaks open, most of the hair will drop off at that site, so watch for that. At that point you can also lance it, remove the material in there and syringe a mild iodine/solution into it. Won't be a bloody mess, just the little at skin opening...it's actually all encased like a bubble. Wear gloves, dispose of all the material expressed.

Could also be a festering from a small infection, from a puncture, briar, cut, injection of meds, etc. That material being expelled from site will be far looser, runny. Again, clean off, iodine wash.

Neither of these are very painful now and will be only slightly tender once opened. Oh, blades. Very sharp like brand new box cutter or razor. Trust me, nick it quick and painless....I've nicked myself and only knew when I felt blood running.🤫

Most often CL shows on neck, near shoulder or near top before head.

Hope this helps. 🤞👍

Yeah, goats can be difficult to bring thru sickness.

Jego

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So we'll try to "help" with some info. While it could be CL, it is isn't something that I've seen show very often in young goats. It is contagious by contact with oozed material, and is manageable to an extent. They can sometimes have internal formations if severe. For now, let's talk about the spot you see.

With CL the matter inside this fester is like a soft cheese, thick. The site will fester and break open...think huge pimple. Before it breaks open, most of the hair will drop off at that site, so watch for that. At that point you can also lance it, remove the material in there and syringe a mild iodine/solution into it. Won't be a bloody mess, just the little at skin opening...it's actually all encased like a bubble. Wear gloves, dispose of all the material expressed.

Could also be a festering from a small infection, from a puncture, briar, cut, injection of meds, etc. That material being expelled from site will be far looser, runny. Again, clean off, iodine wash.

Neither of these are very painful now and will be only slightly tender once opened. Oh, blades. Very sharp like brand new box cutter or razor. Trust me, nick it quick and painless....I've nicked myself and only knew when I felt blood running.🤫

Most often CL shows on neck, near shoulder or near top before head.

Hope this helps. 🤞👍

Yeah, goats can be difficult to bring thru sickness.
Thank you so much. These are babies- still have umbilical cords- so if CL usually appears later, I am hopeful that's not it.

I thought for sure they'd die. Now they are taking several bottles a day, bounding all over the place, and trying to eat all of my berry bushes.

I just looked at the site again. There is plenty of hair over it, but there is a tiny little scab beside it.

Thank you for the information.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd bet a tiny scratch that's got a soft tissue swell👍. Most likely gone after 6-8 days. Relax. If they're jumping and nursing, they sound normal. Good job!

Glad to help. 😁. With 30 adult does, there's always a baby wanting attention around here.