In the real world news today Thurs, November 29 2018

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although what you said is still a bit "greek" to me, I did know that there was a "times factor" as the numbers went up. Meaning that I had heard what you were explaining @greybeard about how the second 7.1 was alot more powerful than the 6.4 of a couple days before. Also read that there still could be a more powerful one but most likely they will be smaller aftershocks. They can keep 'em; the one we had here in Va several years ago was enough to convince me that I do not like feeling the earth move. Too weird feeling for me.

Last edited:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Babsbag is not close. She is 2 1/2 hours north of my sister. My sister did not feel it.

I am 40 miles from Ridgecrest. Where it hit. Ridgecrest has a lot of damage. Thankfully no deaths. The 6.4 was not bad here. Everything shook but we had no damage. Nothing off walls/shelves. The 7.1 hit, different story. It shook hard, knocked everything off counters & shelves. We lost power. Lots of after shocks.
The stores had the most damage locally. Lots of product loss. Ridgecrest is a different story. On facebook the "kern county first responders" has pictures of some of the damage. There is also a video on youtube "ridgecrest albertsons" showing the aftermath. My brother in law lives in Ridgecrest. They were out of town when both hit. We are waiting to hear from them when they get back home. We are praying for everyone affected. My husbands store sent people down to Ridgecrest to help with clean up. Lots of businesses are coming to Ridgecrest to cook for the first responders.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can only imagine the carnage at a grocery store with all the cans and glass jars falling to the floor!

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even some thunder will make ya "jump" when it shakes the ground and rattles windows....and going thru a tornado will get your britches "dirty" if they ain't sucked off ya with the vacuum....always had the New Madrid fault on my mind back around Memphis....glad there wasn't anything major while I was there, but couldn't imagine living out there with the circumstances.....I remember the live scenes from the one that hit and collapsed the expressways and people were stranded at one of the major league ballparks....that was really bad....and the broken gas lines ignite fires....terrible...:hugs

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I felt 3 of the bigger strikes at my place, but really just some rolling, no damage here, not particularly rough either. I did fall into the fence as I was walking when the 7.1 hit, but I figured out pretty quick what it was. Here in the valley we aren't right on any actual fault lines so most of the ones we feel are more waves and less hard shakes, if that makes sense? Quakes don't bother me much, but I was born and raised here. I have been in a few big ones and tons of smaller, as I grew up in the bay area.

I am roughly 200 miles northwest of Ridgecrest. @babsbag is about 350 miles north of me.

@lalabugs , hope you, your family and friends are all OK!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
No earthquakes felt in my neck of the woods this time. But like @ragdollcatlady I have been in some big ones and some small ones and they honestly don't even faze me. I was living in the Bay Area during the Loma Prieta quake and it rattled pretty good. At least if my house falls down I know where everything is and I don't have to look for my goat stuck in some tree a mile away.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good point Babs. I don't know the stats but I think more people in the USA have died in tornados or hurricanes than earthquakes. And likely a lot more structures decimated by them as well.