Indiana

Candace

Just born
Reaction score
Indiana here with a beginner herd of nubian goats.

animal-luver92

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hey I'm amber I'm from indiana and will be starting a hobby farm by summer of 2014. any advice on animals that can be on a 2.58 acre farm for a beginner let me know. thnx

animal-luver92

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
is it easy to shave sheep cuz I love sheep but am scared to shave them -I don't wanna accendently get them with the razor-:/

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
animal-luver92 said:
SheepGirl said:
is it easy to shave sheep cuz I love sheep but am scared to shave them -I don't wanna accendently get them with the razor-:/
Well there are hair sheep and there are wool sheep. With hair sheep, they shed their wool so they don't need to be sheared. Wool sheep need to be sheared once a year. I hire a professional to come out and do it. She's fast & while there are some nicks (it's normal), they heal amazingly fast because of the lanolin the sheep's skin produces. Indiana is a big sheep state, you should be able to find a shearer anywhere so you don't have to limit your sheep breed choices to just hair sheep.

animal-luver92

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
SheepGirl said:
animal-luver92 said:
SheepGirl said:
Well there are hair sheep and there are wool sheep. With hair sheep, they shed their wool so they don't need to be sheared. Wool sheep need to be sheared once a year. I hire a professional to come out and do it. She's fast & while there are some nicks (it's normal), they heal amazingly fast because of the lanolin the sheep's skin produces. Indiana is a big sheep state, you should be able to find a shearer anywhere so you don't have to limit your sheep breed choices to just hair sheep.
okay I didn't know there where two different type of sheep. I will have to look into wool and hair sheep to deicide. thnx again