Innards of new barn

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Planning ahead really helps to keeo from making costly mistakes. If you are building a pole barn type frame and then siding it in, the sand will be perfect flooring. Great drainage - which is what you need to avoid stinky mess. You probably won't even need any litter or shavings except when farrowing or kidding. When putting in your barn, just make sure to set the support posts deep in concrete with excessively sandy loose soil. I would keep the interior panels as moveable as possible in order to be able to change configurations as needed. During birthing season you will need smaller jugs and pens for mamas and their babies. During the rest of the year the goats can be kept together in larger pens separated as to sex and age. As for pigs, you can do the same for them as long as they do not fight. (Breeding pigs are not my expertise area.)

There are lots of different manufacturers that make portable panels. Some arrangement of these portable panels in combination with permanent walls may work for you. Just remember you will need a heavier duty set of stuff for hogs! They can burrow under anything and push it up with their snouts. If you are using portable panels that use a pin together system, you will need some way to keep it attached to the barn floor. I don't know how big Kunekune hogs get, but securing the portable panels to short lengths of heavy timbers would help if you are not making the hog pens permanent.

Good luck!

Latest posts