Installing hot wire

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! Though i WOULD like to have fort Knox here I don't think that my seven, soon to be 8 children, would be safe and not touch it.

So, now I know why not to him it up like that. Thanks VERY much @greybeard. I'll do some reading on the sites you sent me and ask more questions later.
You're welcome. A visit to your local extension agent (county agent) would probably be a good place to start, tho there are tons of youtube videos showing how to properly install an electric fence as well.
I know my local Tractor Supply store has a rack of free brochures from the line of fence energizers they sell that has a lot of the basic information.
Every fence is different, depending on it's purpose, total length and number of hot wires, and capacity of the energizer.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, its spring time, I've had much time to study and plan what I'd like to do with my fencing, taxes came in and I can now go and purchase a charger. So that of course means more questions. This time it just concerns putting electric fencing in and the pasture gate. In case people don't know I have a 48" woven wire sheep and goat fence and will only have 1 hotwire running the top. Each pasture has 2 - 3 different gates going to them. Do I need to dig a trench and run wire under each gate or can I just run the wire over the gate and unlatch it each time I want to go in and out? I think that is probably the best way to electrify my gate area anyway. Thanks.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our hot wire is as much to keep our dogs in as to keep predators out so we run a hot and ground wire on top. The gate anchors give a good connection.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do I need to dig a trench and run wire under each gate or can I just run the wire over the gate and unlatch it each time I want to go in and out? I think that is probably the best way to electrify my gate area anyway. Thanks.
Either way, but I'll guarantee, you're going to get zapped at least once unlatching that hot wire sooner or later.
When I was using those suicide handles
electric%20gate%20handle.JPG

I put a disconnect (knife switch) on the lead in side so I didn't have to worry about getting zapped. Go grab one when it's covered in dew and you'll see why.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
This is the way I've always understood it to be done if you want hot wire above the gate but don't want to shut the whole fence down, or the fence beyond the gate you're opening, when the gate is opened.

Diagram

Credit Zareba link from Bay.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Either way, but I'll guarantee, you're going to get zapped at least once unlatching that hot wire sooner or later.
I put a disconnect (knife switch) on the lead in side so I didn't have to worry about getting zapped. Go grab one when it's covered in dew and you'll see why.
Good ol experience, the best teacher. I honestly don't want to have one hanging above the gate at all but I'm afraid if I don't put one there that that she will be will things get in and out.

@Latestarter that's also how I saw it but I wasn't too worried about the entire thing shutting down since it would only be for a few minutes while I pulled the tractor in. At the same time though I have very forgetful children.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good ol experience, the best teacher. I honestly don't want to have one hanging above the gate at all but I'm afraid if I don't put one there that that she will be will things get in and out.

@Latestarter that's also how I saw it but I wasn't too worried about the entire thing shutting down since it would only be for a few minutes while I pulled the tractor in. At the same time though I have very forgetful children.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Surprise! Another question. The fence goes to the end of my driveway but don't cross over. How does the circuit connect itself if it's only one wire going down a run of fencing to a dead end?