Interested in Rabbits

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Are you looking for rabbits as meat, pets, or show ( not mutually exclusive)?

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome :frow, glad you joined us! We have rabbits and find them easy to care for. What
breed are you considering? We like the medium size rabbits; we raise Californian and French Angora. There are others with rabbits who will hopefully give their imput.

@promiseacres @samssimonsays @Bunnylady to name a few

Not really any particular breed. Just as pets what breed do you recommend? Also if i were to breed them do rabbits normally sell?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can answer that fully for you, we raise the Cali's for meat for us and the French Angora's we save their fiber for learning how to spin. Have you looked on CL by you to see what others might be selling? We do sell our extra French Angoras this way.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome! We raise meat rabbits and sell the excess as pets. We have Rex breed. They are super easy to care for honestly. Selling the babies really depends on where you live. I am close to a large metropolitan area within 15 minutes, so it is easy for me. Good luck!

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with the others, easy to care for.

Breed depends on what you like and what is available in your area or you are willing to pay for, in some cases. Excess can generally be sold, again, depending on your area. Mine are for meat as most of the others.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Outdoors they aren't too messy. Inside they are ok if you don't mind cleaning a litter box very regularly . If gotten young they generally will easily box train.

Do rabbits sell well, depends...
I raise Velveteen lops which make great pets but I have a lot more money invested in them and therefore I sell pet quality for $30. Otherwise they go in the freezer at around 12 weeks. I could sell to a farm store but wouldn't get reasonable prices. And too many people buying there are impulse buyers... Idk I rather a bunny be humanly culled and used than dying because people don't know how to care for them, living in nasty conditions or set "free" when they tire of them.
Rabbits are a lot of fun. In the summer I am checking them 3,4 times a day making sure all have plenty of water. And give ice bottles in the hot afternoons. I have a fan too. I clean poop trays weekly. Trim nails every 4 to 6 weeks.
Imo breeding for pets is fine but consider getting purebred, pedigreed stock. While you may not want to show that gives you another outlet (and show bunnies will sell for more). Or at the very least expect to sell some for meat or snack food. A dwarf breed may only have 1 or 2 kits so sometimes are "worth" more but other breeds average 5 to 10 kits therefore you'll get lots of bunnies fast.
Sorry this is very rambling...

Coolup Rabbitry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there. Before you decide to buy rabbits do some research to learn about them first. Different rabbits require different needs and also have different characteristics.
Rabbits are pretty clean animals and can be trained to use a litter tray. Decide whether you wish for your rabbit to be indoors or outdoors and purchase the correct hutch for your rabbit's needs. A hutch should have sufficient space for your rabbit to hop about, kick & jump otherwise consider your rabbit will need to be excersised daily so will need to run about a secure space.
A rabbits diet consists of mostly hay. The hay should not be mouldy or dusty. 10% of their diet should be fresh veg, 5% fruit (as a treat) & 5% quality pellets.
Rabbits make wonderful pets, and are fairly easy to care for but a lot can go wrong. Rabbits are sensitive to heat so care must be taken in summer to ensure that they are kept cool and have plenty of water & in winter keep them out of extreme cold temps.
Check for which veg are suitable for bunnies. Avoid lettuce and cabbage. Fruit is like sugar to a rabbit & so is carrots so keep it to a minimum as the occasional treat. If you wish to keep bunny inside make sure you have a hutch to put him in when you are not home. Rabbits CHEW so keep cords out of their way.
Males are more settled than females. Females once they reach maturity can become hutch agressive as they want to mate, so if you wish to purchase a female consider spaying. Do NOT buy a kit under 8 weeks of age. Before then they are not weened properly and too much can go wrong. Check out some of the firums on rabbits here as many are gery informative. Hope this helps you decide. Bunnies are wonderful and affectionate, they can come when called, snuggle on your lap And even be taught to do tricks.

Coolup Rabbitry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For a pet I highly recommend dwarf lop ear rabbits. They are medium sized. This is what I own & breed. Lops are extremely affectionate. They remind me of a lap cat, happy to snuggle up on your lap or put their head under your chin. They love to lick your face. They love to be carried about, like to play & hop about but most of all they are very settled, almost lazy. They make a great pet for young children. My youngest is 3 and she adores her bunny. However supervision is always recommended. They have long floppy ears which they live to have scratched or rubbed. Beautiful, fluffy, cuddly buns that come in many colours.