Intro: Hi!

boppo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I decided to join after I saw that BYH covers bees as well as 4 legged critters. I have had bees for not quite one year. This is the first year I am overwintering them here in Massachusetts. I did not take honey this year, as I figured the hive needed it to keep themselves over the winter. But I'm looking forward to honey next year. I got my bees because it seemed that the native bees in and near my yard were not present, or just low populations last spring. I was not seeing honey bees from any neighbors, so I decided to get into bee keeping. I have been reading up, but was delighted to find what looks to be a very helpful article covering beekeeping. I look forward to meeting folks, learning more and joining the community.

I would LOVE to keep goats, pigs, cows, horses and more. But I live in a fairly densely settled suburb of a large city. Our regulations do allow up to 6 hens, but don't allow the other animals I wish for. I have 5 chickens now, and 7 coturnix quail, in addition to one 8-frame Langstroth hive. I wish I had held out for a top bar, but they are much more expensive. Maybe next year?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from central Indiana! :frow

I have chickens and geese. Bees intrigue me, but I know myself well enough (procrastinator) that I know I wouldn’t be able to care for them on the schedule they need.

I have 4 acres in suburbia, and it’s my dream to move far out into the country when my husband retires. Is moving a possibility in your future?