Introducing my first alpaca herd...

teach1rusl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It was a very exciting (and stressful) weekend, as our little alpaca herd FINALLY arrived! :) We've been talking about them and planning for them since last fall, after coming into a few more acres, but we were starting from scratch, so it took time. We redid the fields we'd bought in orchard grass, had to build a shelter, run electricity and water, fence, yada-yada-yada... And of course, being in Indiana, we didn't pick the best time for construction projects. Oh well.

The important thing is that THEY'RE HERE!! We decided four was a good number for us to easily manage, since we're keeping them as pets primarily (although I'm looking forward to doing something with the fiber). We went with one gelding who used to be a 4H fella, so he's very easy going, and three females, two of which are 8 months old. I don't know for certain whether we'll ever have them bred, so I wanted at least a taste of the fun experienced with crias. They came from three different farms, so I'm happy with the way they've all gotten along so far. :)

3734_alpacas_home_004.jpg

This is Jasper, who is just so darned easy going and sweet natured that you just want to squeeze her!

3734_alpacas_home_003.jpg

This is Hope, who was a wild child even before the trauma/stress of moving. Her ears are held back most of the time, but I can tell she's starting to settle in, because she's starting to perk her ears up more often now.

3734_alpacas_home_007.jpg

This is Cassie and Jasper. Cassie is a little over two years old. She's small, only around 100 pounds. She's pretty friendly, and will eat from my hand.

I don't have any good pictures of Leroy yet, but he's the true black fella in the background of the first two pics. I was a little worried about how he might do with the youngins, but he seems to be fine with them. He also will eat from our hands.

Anyhow, that's my little herd. I'm so happy they're here!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
They are adorable! Congratulations!

Just keep an eye on their eyes. When you can't see their eyes, trim the fiber around them. They can be wool blind when the fiber gets long.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That little brown one is adorable.

I was wondering if Llama's are actually good at defending Cows or if they can even be with them or should I use Donkey's? Sorry about hijacking the thread.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Llamas are guard animals. If you have a major problem with something, you would probably be better off with LGD's. A llama can stomp something but that is it.

dshappychicks

Just born
Reaction score
Very nice! They are so adorable! :love We are thinking of getting alpacas. We visited a farm in Indiana this past weekend. Got a lot of useful info. We want to purchase some, but are still trying to figure how to pick them for the price we can afford. We just want to have them for pets and fiber. Still a lot of research to do. We have the perfect place,32 acres, carpenter husband to build shelter :), means to develop a spring. Just a big investment that we would like to get some return on. Hopefully someday soon! Good luck with your new additions.

teach1rusl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

They been here almost two months now, and our little herd is doing great! We had some soft poo issues for several weeks due to feed changes and the stress of moving, but most of that has worked itself out. They all seem to be settled in now, and seem very happy/content. :) I've been working with them a few times a week, getting them used to be handled/worked with.

3734_march23alpacachicken_002.jpg

3734_alpacas_and_lucky_chick_march_22_2013_015.jpg

3734_honeybun_chick_016.jpg

Latest posts