Is it ok to wean a buckling by himself?

jacca5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am weaning 8 babies total I only have one buck in the group I was wondering if it is ok to wean him by himself in his own area with no companion or does he really need someone in there with him?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think it would be better if he had a buddy. He is being taken away from his mom and everyone he knows. That is stressful enough.

jacca5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
But they can breed at three months is that correct cause I have read all kinds of different opinions.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, they can.

If he's not intended for breeding, he could be wethered and stay in with the rest of the group....but I'm sure if that were the case, you'd have him banded by now.. So, he must be a potential breeder..

This is probably going to sound really stoopid, but...have you ever heard of an olor?

I've never put one to use in my own herd...nor have I ever seen one used in real life...but the way the thing's designed, it looks like it would work beautifully.. Seems like pure -- if simple -- genius, if you ask me..

If you need to keep him with his sisters/mama/other females...an olor may be an option.

:hu

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
What will they come up with next?! It does look like a good idea though... If it doesn't shift to the side allowing "access."

jacca5

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He actually is a buck that I am trying to sell because I have his father and his mother. So I am selling him and his sisters. His is a nice black and white spotted Nubian that if I can't get rid of I will breed to a few does in the fall that is why I didn't band him.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
chandasue said:
cmjust0 said:
What will they come up with next?! It does look like a good idea though... If it doesn't shift to the side allowing "access."
The olor is apparently the traditional method of the maasai herdspeople, re-discovered somewhat recently. The BBC article calls it "age-old"..

As for shifting, if you look closely, you'll see that there's a strap that goes up over the withers, and another that goes across the chest in the front.. I know the chest strap is probably there primarily to keep it from slipping backward, but I'm guessing it would help keep it from rotating too..

If not, you could always run another thin strap from the top of the olor, between the front legs, and 'tee' it into the chest strap...voila.

The Egg Bandit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That is a great idea. And so simple too. I have a Nigi escape artist buck that needs one of those. He worries me when he chases after the girls, and I can't catch him for HOURS after he gets out. Time to break out the Singer and whip me up one of those.

ETA: spell check

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What a wonderful idea, maybe something I will try in the not too distant future. :D