Is it ususual for a goat to still be in milk over a yr. after kidding?

Long Last Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a very nice large alpine doe (Victoria) that kidded in march 2012--twins does.
Victoria still occasionally lets one of the doeling nurse--I guess 2 or 3 times per day for just 10-30 seconds.

Anyway, I just started milking another goat,(Maple) who just kidded this yr. I separate her from her little buckling at night, and milk her first thing in the am.

Just out of curiosity, I put Victoria up on the milkiing stand and milked her. I got more milk from Victoria than Maple -- About 18 oz day from Maple, and 20 plus ounces from Victoria!

Is this unusual for a goat to still give milk 15 months? I would like to Increase both goats production. Maple is a Saanen, firsttime momma. Vicotria has kidded 2 times total. other than completely removing the kids from both of them, what else can i do to increase production?
thanks, Pat

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have experienced milking from a goat that wasn't bred for way over a year, and still gave a good amount of milk. I would assume, the more often you milk them, the more they will produce, up to a point. Alpines are known for good milk producers.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For the last two winters I have deliberately milked one of my goats "through." I plan on continuing with this, rotating between the three of them. This gives me milk all winter and gives the doe a break from kidding.

What I found was that production will drop pretty far down during the winter and then pick up again in the spring/summer. Last fall the one I had milked through didn't dry up until 1/2 way through her pregnancy (20 months later!). I was amazed! Before I bred her, she was still giving about 5 cups per milking (10 cups per day). The one I milked through this last winter isn't doing as well. I get 2 1/2 - 3 cups a milking (5 or 6 a day) and she didn't pick up as much. They both dropped to 1 1/2 - 2 cups per milking in the cold and dark of winter. But that is still almost a quart a day which is enough for our family if we're careful.

It's incredible that your goat is still lactating when you haven't been milking her! Her doeling must get quite a bit the little she is letting it eat. Just goes to show how hard and fast they suckle, doesn't it! :lol:

Long Last Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I thought it was amazing also! Her doeling is a greedy little thing so she may be nursing all night for all I know. I am just going to continue milking Victoria through the summer, then let her dry off in the fall for a November/Dec breeding, ( I hope!)

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a Nubian that freshened last July, a am
still getting over a quart a day from her. Once a
day milking. I plan on milking until Sept, then drying everyone to
re-breed in October.