Is it worth saving a weak lamb?

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay so she's a great milker - I stanchioned her and milked about 600-650 ml from her, so at this point I've gotten about 850-900 ml I'm guessing...? The little lamb had the first 200 or so lat 3:30 and 6:00, and now I'm going to feed it every hour or so with the new colostrum. just now he had about 50ml but he's very tired and weak. I'm using the bottle now, and helping him as he doesn't suck super well. We'll see... I'm pretty confident that he should get the amount of colostrum he needs, as he's only about 4-5 lbs, so by my guesstimation he needs about 1/2 a lb (according to info that says a 10lb lamb should get 1lb), am I correct? Of course I'll just keep feeding away, as much as he can take, I assume.

That said, he's still very weak, and though able to stand a bit at 3:30, he's not so hot right now...

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, so he just took about 100ml of colostrum over about 20 minutes or so. For the first time he seems to have a little belly, whereas before (and to be honest, still) he looked like a bag of bones, seriously, with huge ungainly shoulders and hips that don't seem to be attached by anything other than skin!

He's not super perky - should I be giving him anything else? Some sugar solution, or...? He's just basically lying there doing nothing... not that I expect him to jump around or anything, but he's definitely so weak still.

I'm home today so I have this 24 hour period to get him going, and that's it... :( I'm willing to sit by him the whole day and do what's necessary.

Suggestions?

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm... he doesn't look full, but he won't take any more. I gave him 5ml of slightly diluted honey (had to add a tiny bit of hot water b/c we only have the grainy kind right now...) to give him some energy. Apparently I should have done that before the colostrum...

My nephew has had great success with Coko for his piglets - says it gets them raring to go in no time. I'm not going to go that route (we only have Ginger Ale anyway ;) but I'm going to see if the honey trick works.

He currently can barely raise his head, still can't stand. If his mom hadn't birthed a nice big ewe lamb ahead of him, I'd think he was a preemie...

shepherdO

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I presume it's good for it to be up? Ie, get the muscles moving, start spreading sugars through the body etc.? He still doesn't like to drink much but I have him 10 more cc's via syringe. His appetite is up and down.

Attachments

• 20190304_105856_Burst01.jpg
    20190304_105856_Burst01.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 91

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is making progress. For sugared honey, put the container is a bowl of hot water. When it cools, dump it out and add more hot water. The honey will go back to liquid.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here goes nothing. I'm going to build a permanent stanchion and milk o out the ewe until the baby is old and strong enough to drink of h his own volition. Let's set for that goes!

I have goats but, last yr one had trips, not her usual twins. First two quickly, up & nursed. Then, after about a 20 min pause, #3 came along. Mom cleaned her but would NOT let her nurse. I milked out colostrum and gave it to the little doe kid (yes, way smaller than first two. also black spotted, not white like others). anyhow -- Doe did all motherly care for #3, except feed her. :idunno
She was given only moms milk -- knowing they smell them - but, not letting her nurse. I could hold her by collar & place Peanut at teat, she would nurse but, soon as I let go...mom turned and walked!

Nine months later, mom and Peanut & Sugar (the 2nd doeling, sold buckling) all sleep, eat & poop together -- perfect family. She grew nicely, had only moms milk.....odd. BUT so glad I co-parented and save that kid!

I hope things go well for yours. :hugs We can't save them all but, it's a miracle to watch when we do.