Is my bunny lonely?

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When we moved mama's cage indoors (when she had kits), daughter bunny in the cage next door starting acting weird, didn't eat much. I thought she was a gonner. Put mama bunny & her babies back out there & weird behaviors went away. To me, she missed her mama. Y'all can think what you want. To each their own. :)
of course this is possible, but they will soon adapt after some time.

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've found rabbits like to socialize off their own "space" but once they are back in their own established space they will usually defend it.

The only exception I ever had to that was a long coated x lion haired doe who would adopt anything small & soft into her space.
She fostered many baby guinea pigs who would follow her & she would clean their bum etc. Baby birds, baby rabbits, moorhen chicks & ducklings. She was a great foster mum & would defend her "babies" to the death in the garden, even attacking the dogs. She was only a small rabbit.

She had 3 litters during her life & lost half of them. We found out she wasn't producing milk, so we handreared the remaining kits the best we could, but she would clearly get upset if the kits weren't returned to her immediately after feeds.

By the time she had to be put to sleep she had one eye & half an ear missing from fighting cats & other wild rabbits she would spot in the garden. She died when her back legs suddenly gave out on her at the age of 6.

Poor Fluffy :(