Is my dog pregnant?

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We were on a trip this summer, and had a friend watch our female dog at their house. This was end of June through the end of July. This past week we have noticed her mammary glands getting bigger. Today we noticed milk dripping out of one of them. Our dog is about 8 years old, and she has never had puppies before. She is a black lab/coonhound, so a bit bigger breed, and she doesn't appear to be filling out. Do you guys know if she will be having pups, or could this mean something else? Thanks:)

Britgoes2market

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Gestation for dogs is 63 days, I would assume if she was pregnant she could be filling-out, but if she is in fact close, you would be able to see movement, or if you are careful you can palpate to see if you feel movement. It would be far more intentional than a gas bubble. I would look for signs of digging, heavy panting, shaking (their temps drop when they are 24 ish hours out of labor). Honestly though without more information, did someone see the dog tie? Etc. It would be difficult to answer with limited information. :)
Lastly, if she is in fact 8 years old, and you suspect she is pregnant, I would get super close to your vet in the event you have an emergency.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may be, she may not. If it's a small litter, of a singleton she may not look pregnant (filling out). Temp will drop to 98-99 degrees 12-24 hrs before whelping. She will also get very restless "nesting".
A false pregnancy can also develop swollen mammaries as well as some milk, though I've never heard or known of it "dripping" as you stated.
As Brit said gestation is 63 days (9 weeks) so ~timing is pretty close - but she would have to have been in heat when she was at your friend's and at the fertile time and bred.
Let us know what happens.

goatbarn25

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for all the info. I have no experience in pregnant dogs, etc. I believe she was in heat shortly before we left her. Our friend said that she never saw any male dogs around, but they did leave her alone at their house for short periods of time. So it is difficult for me to know since I have so little information myself! But I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Knowing that - you’re probably going to be looking at puppies in the near future. Bitches are in season for 21 days, typically fertile from about day 8-15. Though could be later for older bitches like yours.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When exactly was she in season? You say shortly before leaving on vacation "the end of June". 63 day gestation is pretty exact so count the days from when you believe she was in season. Did you mark it on the calendar? She would have come in season, bled for about a week or so, then the dripping would have turned clear. While the discharge was clear she would be fertile and receptive to males for a couple days, then bleed again as she exited her cycle.

If she came into season while you were gone and she was at your friend's house, her cycle would have followed the same pattern. Since you did not notice any discharge when you returned from vacation the latest date she could have been bred would be about a week before you picked her up.

This is a pretty wide window of possible breeding dates. Whelping dates could be anywhere from a couple weeks ago to the end of September. If you take her to the vet, they can ultrasound her to see if she is carrying puppies, how many, and give you an approximate whelping date. This would be the best thing to do since at her age with a first litter you want to be prepared.

Mammary glands getting larger usually occurs mid-, however milk production occurs closer to the end of pregnancy. Size of the bitch is not an indicator, since some bitches can have a large litter and show very little. he could also have a false pregnancy which could cause lactation.

I would take her to the vet and have an ultrasound done.