Is My Mini Pregnant?

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I brought home a miniature mare on November 15th of last year. A couple had bought her from some people that had 150 or so minis on a 2 acre property. The original owners (not the couple) said the mares had been separated from the stallions but it was a very sketchy, dirty operation. She was around 1 year old then. The couple had had her for I think 2 months.

She's always had a round belly but now it just seems fatter. She's on pasture and is otherwise very healthy. Her belly just seems bigger than it was and I can't tell if I'm imagining it or not. I checked her teats and everyday they're filled with a clear, sometimes very slightly yellow watery fluid. It doesn't leak out on its own and I have to squeeze it out. Her fecal test came back negative for parasites.

She has a great appetite and is up to date on her vaccines.

I could post some pictures but I'm not sure if that would help or not.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhh come now... pictures ALWAYS help ;) you should know THAT by now :lol: Yellow(ish)/watery... sounds kinda like colostrum... If so, you don't want to squeeze it out and waste it... Her foal will need it. Is there any vaginal stretching/discharge? Has she been "nesting" at all? Short of palpation or a vet/ultrasound or hooves starting to push out along with a nose, I'm not sure how to tell... sorry, not much help, am I... @Mini Horses @Bunnylady for minis... @Baymule @Ferguson K @Kusanar or countless others for horses in general...

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know almost nothing on horses and being prego but the general rule with an animal your unsure of being pregnant is....do not milk out the liquid. If she is slighty over a year old it is not possible for her to have had a foal before this and never dried up or something like that. If she is prego you dont want o be milking anything out because eventually she will start making colostrum and the foal will need it. If your doing a prego check by fluid color/appearance you just need a few drops as far as i know.

mamaperreca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is possible. They are pregnant for around 11 months.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, possible to be pregnant at her age. My experience has been that minis carry for various times most often associated with their size. The smaller ones ( my special niche for them) generally carry for 9-10 months, the taller ones tend to carry 10-11 months.

Each one can be different but, this is what I have seen raising and breeding them for many years. 70% of mine were 28" & under, most others were no more than 32" What size is she?

The milk will become whitish and sticky when colostrum. She may not bag a lot being young. I can tell you that a lack of sufficient protein will cause a pot belly on a mini....how is the rest of her body condition?

There are tests for horse pregnancy and a palpation or ultrasound can also determine both status and approx stage of fetus. She may or may not get a really big belly. Some of my matured, small mares, used to look huge. :p

I still have 21 but, no longer breed....much to the stallions dismay.:rolleyes:

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of mama today.

w77iOOt.jpg

gEFFqcl.jpg

so9NM6z.jpg

S4rowam.jpg

o3UPC9r.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry