Is my wethers a buck?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can tell you that the Burdizzo method will NOT shrivel as fast. Plus, if an older goat they wiill often need to clamp differently. At any rate, when I do this "clamp" method, I do 2 clamps, one slightly above/below the other one....in case! It is obvious that it is uncomfortable when doing it....they scream!!! The banding seems faster and less issue, judging from their reactions. Hey, I had a friend call today to ask me to band two for her. This time she says 2 mo olds. Hope so, last ones were almost 4 months and well, she wasn't a good holder! It got done but, not before some wrangling and hog tying. Poor babies.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is also the possibility that the testicles are growing larger due to swelling. It is possible that there is an infection. The testicles usually shrivel and after 2 weeks it would be apparent however, if they are actually GROWING larger in size something is wrong If the burdizzo method failed, the testicles should remain similar in size to what they were 2 weeks ago when the procedure was performed, not grow noticeably.

Take the kid's temperature. Are the testicles hard? Do they feel hot? Are they more tender to the touch than normal? If they feel normal and there is no temperature then I would just go ahead and band him as if he had not been castrated. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. I don't castrate my market lambs anymore since they bring more $$ as entires, but since you are keeping these wethers as pets, don take chances.

If he has not had a tetanus (CDT) be sure to give him one to rule out tetanus. If he has not received his CDT shots then you will need to give him Tetanus Antitoxin which confers immediate protection when you band. Normal CDT vaccine does not give immediate tetanus protection. I give 1 ml to my lambs sub Q before docking along with their normal CDT sub Q vaccine. I give it under the loose skin in the groin. The action of the lamb's movement as it walks and runs keeps any vaccine lump from forming. Antitoxin gives immediate protection while the CDT takes a week or so for the tetanus portion to kick in. Since I band my Dorper ewes' tails I need immediate protection at or before 1 week old.

A number of years ago, the Australian lamb producers decided to try a different type of castration. Much of Australian lamb back then was produced from smaller wool breeds. The market producers wanted a faster rate of growth to a larger size. Ram lambs gain faster than wethers or ewes. High heat makes rams go sterile temporarily. The sheep producers decided to try a new method. Instead of the traditional castration methods, the sheepmen pushed the testicles up into the body cavity and banded the empty sac. The testicles were trapped in the body cavity and the higher body heat kept the rams sterile. I don't think this method is used any more though since there were other problems. While the ram lambs usually remained sterile until slaughter, testosterone continued to be produced. This encouraged ram behavior, and also might have changed the taste of the meat. I believe this was discontinued after a couple of years. Now most market producers have simply concentrated on producing genetics for faster growth. At any rate, it was an interesting experiment.

One of the problems you can have when banding younger lambs or goats is that one or both of the testicles can slip up and not be caught in the band. If this happens, just cut the band and try again.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Burdizzo method isn't necessarily new, but I don't think it's as common as a surgical castration or a banding.
Quite true, it was one of 3 methods we were taught in sheep class back in '76. That, banding and cutting off the bottom of the scrotum with a knife and pulling the testicles out with pliers ... or your teeth. I don't recall anyone in class volunteering to use their teeth. I do recall the poor little ram lambs not caring for the crush or pull methods, several passed out (the sheep not the students).

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Poor students lol! I will do pictures and label them when I go down there in a bit

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't that the really old way - to use your teeth? You hear about old shepherds doing that but I wonder if anyone really did. LOL Pretty yucky, although no confusion about whether or not they are actually castrated!! LOL I wouldn't want to be a shepherd's wife though after he spent the day doing that. No welcome home kiss until after he brushed his teeth and used mouthwash!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've read that they bit them, as with a burdizzo. Either way, A good mouth cleaning would be in order! :lol:

Australians tried to make a retained testicle. Hmmmm. Never knew but, then, I haven't raised sheep. My goats are left intact, better sales. It also makes for a separate penning regimen! PITA for a while.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here are some pics!

First set is Luke's(one I think is a wether)
Second set is Whiskeys (his bro, how they are supposed to look)

Attachments

• 20200731_165258.jpg
    20200731_165258.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 20200731_165329.jpg
    20200731_165329.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 168