Is my wethers a buck?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old are these goats?

The testicles in the pix both looked pretty similar to me and like normal testicles. If they were done 3 weeks ago at this point, they should be much smaller and obviously shriveling up. I would go ahead and band both of them since they look like normal testicles at this point.

You never said what was the "new" technique the breeder used.

I prefer the banding method since the testicles actually fall off after a couple weeks, leaving no doubt that they are no longer functional! LOL And I hate the crunching noise of the burdizzo! UGH! With banding you just have to make sure that the urethra is not caught in the band. Not a problem usually since the baby will nurse from either mama or a bottle and pee.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know what the "new techinque" was since I never really had time to ask since I am super busy. I know the boys got them down at 10 weeks of age and I think they maybe 12-13 weeks of age

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ok, we will try. We are just super busy. I think we might band, but I also want our doe to be breed, she is registered but Luke isn't registered

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am confused. If you wanted to breed your doe to one of these bucks why did you castrate them? If you wanted wethers for pets but want to breed the doe ask the breeder if she will do stud service on the doe when it is time.

Since the doe is registered, why breed her to an unregistered buck? That doesn't make any sense. Instead, bred her to a registered buck of her breed. The kids will be more valuable and you will be sure of what you have in the final product.

Keeping a buck to use for one doe is too much work since you have to keep him separated from the doe except when breeding. Also they stink badly during breeding season and neither you nor your children will want to touch or play with him.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No so we bought them as wethers, but then this situation happened, me and my family want to breed but aren't ready to yet. So I want to breed our doe Dixie but I can't. We won't wethers and does since no breeding

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no rush to breed Dixie since she is still a baby. Go ahead and wether the buck kids. When you have time and want to breed Dixie, contact her breeder and ask about stud service. The breeder can probably put you in touch with someone who will provide registered stud service.

Since you bought Dixie to show, she does not have to be bred until she is 1 year old. She will freshen as a 2 year old. She can show as a kid and then as a dry yearling until she is 2. At 2 she has to be in milk to show. Since you bought her to show, you want her kids to be registered.

You can't show her daughters unless they are registered. There is no reason to keep any sons from her. You already have several pet wethers, and if you are sincere about showing you should only be keeping daughters and granddaughters since they are all you can show. Goats tend to multiply rapidly and are fun so be careful about how many wethers you keep as pets if you plan to be showing. Does are wonderful pets too, and can all be shown in various classes. Once Dixie has several daughters you can also show her and her daughters in Herd class, and in Produce of Dam class, as well as in the various age classes.

Latest posts