Is there a way of making an easily moved pen/fence?

parjackson

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It always comes down to fencing! My DH and I are totally new to all of this. He is 100% opposed to any electric fencing on our place (we have 5 very young children along with the fact that he is rather phobic about trying new things/ideas :rolleyes:). I really want some sort of rotational grazing system for our two sheep and two nigis. It would have to be something I could easily move on my own. Something dog kennel-ish maybe? Do you have any suggestions? I was considering a hoop house structure, but I don't think that would really be big enough. I have considered tethering the goats, but I don't know how I really feel about that, plus that wouldn't work for sheep, right?

I need somebody to come over and say, "Look this is what you need to do, and this is how you do it!" Are any of you in northeast Ohio? We are so clueless!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A dog kennel would be a pain to move... unless you took it apart, and fitted it back together at the new location every single time. We have a 12x12 chainlink dog run for the goats, and it is a PAIN.

Electric fencing is my friend, :)

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You could use cattle or hog panels. Id go with hot wire. The kids will learn quick not to touch it. Just tell them it bites.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
There are always corral panels. Easier to move than dog kennel panels but harder than electric. You would need to cover them with fencing so the sheep and goats couldn't get out.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use coral or stock panels covered the bottom 1/2 with hog wire. They are 16' and are a little on the heavy side but work so well if you do not have to move them far.

FarmerChick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hog panels.

they have smaller openings at the bottom...good for keeping small dogs out and goats heads inside.

Your problem with panels is they are heavier types. Usually T-posts driven into the ground is their stands so they would not be very portable.

Tying out goats or sheep---you have to be very aware of predator problems. A goat on a rope is a snack to any dogs, etc. Not recommended but yes people do tie them out. Don't know about sheep on a rope though.

True ease and portable is electric netting or fencing. But if hubby is 100% opposed then you have to go with some type of wire fencing. Never an easy move truly and depends on how often you want to move it.

Electric netting will not kill your children, they would learn a very healthy respect for that fencing very quickly....but again, it is just what you are comfortable with in the end.

babalubird

Just born
Reaction score
Well, my dog just jumped on my post and erased a long post.

A shorter version, I am a female trying to run the farm in trucker-hubby's absence too. And I LOVE electric fencing. For goats and sheep, you need a stronger charge than for horses and cows for them to respect it. Make sure the charger and system you buy is adequate for them.

I will probably get Premier Fencing's net fence when I get poultry, hogs and goats. Right now we use single strand for the horses on those handly little push-in plastic posts from Tractor Supply. I wouldn't trust an electric fence as your only perimeter fencing as they can short out or a frightened animal can just run through them onto a street or highway. But for temporary pens within your main fence, electric CANNOT be beat.

He's being foolish. Electric fencing is your answer. How old are your children? Electric fences have an intermittent charge. I can't imagine anyone actually being electricuted by an electric fence. They're designed to bite a little and let go. It would probably only take one or two times on the fence for your children to never do it again if they don't understand "stay away--don't touch". I have been hit so many times it's not even funny. I scream "ouch" and that's the worst of it.