Issue with llama's back legs

The Jolly Rancher

Just born
Reaction score
I noticed in early spring that when my llama stands he sways his back end to the same side everytime (left). A few weeks ago, I noticed that he has started turning his back left ankle out (un-naturally) with each step on the side he sways to. I have trimmed his nails two times this year and there are no obvious (to me) reasons that he is walking like this. Everything looks sound about his hips, legs, ankles, feet, etc. But obviously something is not right. My thoughts are that something may be wrong with his right foot, so he is swaying to get the weight off of it, but I can not see anything wrong. He recently turned 12 and looks fit as a fiddle otherwise. Obviously, I am very concerned. I live in a rural area and the nearest large animal vet that would know anything about llamas would be a least a couple hours away. Could anyone give me any ideas of what I may be able to do to help him? I appreciate your time, Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. I don't know that we have any active llama folks on the threads right now. Perhaps @purplequeenvt could offer some input? If you can/do determine what the issue is, it would be great if you'd come back and post so others could learn from your situation. If you have some pics you could share, we're all pic addicts. I hope it's nothing serious and your guy comes back to normal quickly.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read something with crias where they kinda sink into their back pasterns. They said you could fix it with a vitamin B shot. Could you maybe call the vet and ask for advice? Im fairly new to camelids, sorry I can not be of anymore help. My intial thought was menigeal worm(cause the thread name), but if he has had it since spring its definitly not that. Hope you figure out what it is, and keep us updated.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My first thoughts would be arthritis or meningeal worm.

Generally the first indications of Meningeal worm will be a weakness of the rear leg or legs or just a gait that is "off" slightly. Symptoms can go on for quite a while before you realize there's a problem.

Treatment is a long course of large doses of Safeguard. And steroids too, I believe. I've thankfully never had an animal with MW, but I know folks who have. There's really no good way to tell how well an animal will recover. Some recover completely and you can't tell they ever had a problem. Others might recover, but have a permanent wiggle to their walk or other neurological problems.

I would get a vet out to take a look.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I unfortunately have had a few experiences with M worm. I knew it could take a while to show signs, but once it shows signs(from my experience) it means you need to act fast. i had no idea that it could go for that long.