Jeff & Monica's Journey

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well twice I have had to go look for the fake eggs, so I am hoping that they think the coop is still a nice place to lay their eggs. Lets get this figured out!

I used my Hubby's drill to hang some of the mineral box feeders in the goat shed. By the time I figured out how to operate the darn thing, the battery was dead. I got one hung up, but they knock it off already. I wili try again. I was pretty proud of myself for a few minutes.

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You know me by now...i can't pass up a good chick sale. I work at the local feedstore and i saw the bargain bin chicks for 4 for a dollar. They are 3 weeks old and have a good many feathers already. I got 2 at regular price, but they are considerably smaller, but one of the bigger chicks is letting them snuggle. Imagine that: I have a chick that wants to be a mama already!

They are in the coop, but separated from the big girls for now...they kind of freaked out a bit when i brought the box over LOL. There is no light hooked up on that side but i layered in some straw and let them have one of my old handknit hats to coverup. Night time temps might go to 41 tonight. I held one up at the fence and Angel, one of our LGD's laid down at the fence--no barking, no growling, so I think they will be just fine with them once the coop gets moved over to the pasture. The cats on the other hand are a different story and i worry they will wander too close and I think Hubby will come home to a dead kitty. I am already planning on how to modify the entry of the coop so the chickens can get in, but the goats won't fit. So it will be kind of like a kissing gate, but made so the chickens can use the door, but the goats are blocked from entering. I can move over the run they have been using and have their food and water outside the coop like they have been used to.

Last edited:

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
update: heat rolled out from the coop, so i think they were pretty good. That one little chick is getting named Lil Momma for sure, she still had them tucked under her wings. I heated up water on the stove and put it out there for them. I put a little over their food and mixed in some chopped up oatmeal, flax and quinoa. I want to get them started on some good feed. I might knit them a little bowl for a nest so they can snuggle up and get warm. I have not been able to get a momma hen to be a mother yet...Just the one that was broody and she was the only survivor after something sneak in and kill off all the other chickens. She had been sitting on the eggs for about 3 weeks and wouldn't get off, but they were starting to stink and had turned black. So, decided that i could get her some chicks to get her off the nest. It was magic! She pop off that sticking pile and was like OMG my babies are here! She showed them how to eat and drink and by the end of the day they were sliding off her back.

Angel and Precious are doing good with the cats, but not sure if they actually met. Oreo and Domino are very curious cats, but run off when they realize they have been spotted. IttyBitty is more of a housecat and doesn't go far from the porch.

The goats do a lot of headbutting on each other, the dogs and yep even me...Tango got me the other day and gave me a big bruise on the side of my knee.