jersey and holstien cross?

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
almost every calf they have down there has scours so bad you never know if they gonna live or not

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's cheap for a heifer calf. Here's what they are bringing here:
Top Quality Holstein Heifer Calves 250.00 - 460.00 per head
Plain Quality Heifer Calves 150.00- 250.00 per head
Lightweight Heifer Calves 100.00 per head and down

Have you talked to the farmer down the road and see if you can buy one direct from him?

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my wife would kill me if i spent that much on calf

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
he keeps everything he has for himself and his family....his kids never buy beef from anywhere cuz dad takes care of them....friday i'm going to the auction again and i talked to lady i got howie from.she usually brings 2 calfs a week for auction and shes gonna try to bring me decent one next friday ....her calfs always seem like they healthiest ones at every auction

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The farmers here would be ashamed to send a calf with the scours to auction. The lower end calves are ones that are light weights or have something wrong-bumb knee,etc.

Hayladee

Just born
Reaction score
Heifer calves are high here in Pa too, at least the good ones that arent twins to bulls. Here they state right as the calf is being sold if its a single or a twin to a bull. I've seen week old holstein heifer calves sell for 5-6.00 a pound.....that was a few years ago, hard to believe. I can see if you were buying from a farmer and you knew it was from a good milking cow but at that time they werent even specifying if it was a twin to a bull. Hubby said it had something to do with Mexico importing a lot of bred heifers.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A few years ago we were seeing the $600-700 a calf. It had to due to milk prices here.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i havent checked the prices in awhile.but dairy heifer calves are bringing $200 to $400ea.

grass

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my cousin just called me tonight shes got 3 calves to sell....i get to go look at them tonight.....if i dont take one shes takin all 3 to auction tomarrow they all holsteins...one hefer and 2 steers