Jmsim93's Journal

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, with the birthing phase of "Operation Goat" almost complete, I figured it was time to start my journal page. So if anyone is interested...here we go:

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

East TexasLong Summers and Wet Winters (very little Spring & Fall)

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?

5 Happily married 18 yrs to an incredible man and 3 wonderful sons!

3. How would you define your farm?

A work in progressstarted with chickens, then ducks, lost the chickens, added goats, wanting chickens againrabbits are next!

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

International missions

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?

Yes! I built the goat shelter and the chicken coop. Had a blast doing it. My husband was SOOO impressed! All he did to help was hold the beams while I poured in the concrete.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

Nope

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?

The economy! People need to know how to grow and produce their own food BEFORE a crisis happensdont depend on the Government to take care of us WHEN the economy collapses.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?

Hobby

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?

I know just enough to be dangerous in MANY fieldsan expert of NOTHING! Thats why I like this site.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?

Ive learned to NEVER sayI will never many times you will eat your words; but I have no desire to have pigs or cows.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?

Absolutely!

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

Curled up with a book, a bath and a hot cup of tea

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

Never tried but I bet I could.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

I can crochet and sew. I can also build with my husbands tools. I have taught others to as well.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Yes. We have no regulation for livestock.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

Nowish I could

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

Yes, tomatoes are my favorite garden vegetable to grow. I also like potatoes.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

Yes, our family enjoys fishing on our 1 acre pond. We only have bass and goggle-eye in it, though. (we use bait)

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?

We have 13 wooded acres and we live parallel to my in-laws 22 acre pasture we can also use.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?

Novice

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

I want to learn everything!!!!

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

History and Geography

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

No, but my husband builds handcrafted guitarsdoes that count?

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?

Sureif and when herbs are effective, why would you use synthetic chemicals?

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

Montana, Colorado, North Carolina??? Someplace with mountains

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

No, but we have talked about getting one.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?

Not reallythey think Im a little weird! While most of my girlfriends asked for Macy and Nordstrom giftcards, I asked for Jeffers!!!

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I LOVE to cook and am very good at it. I am very excited about raw milk and am getting closer to achieving that goal! (My new doe is due Jan. 22nd)

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?

The first day I got my doethe plan was coming together!

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

Not really. I grew up eating deer meat my whole life and developed an aversion to it! My husband isnt a hunter so we just havent gone that route yet.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?

Determination, hard work, and realistic expectations

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?

I can process meatI have never canned but have several in my family who can teach me.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?

No. We have considered going solar but it would require cutting a lot of trees to get enough sunlightnot sure I have to heart to do it.

35 What is on your to do list?

Prepare the soil for a garden next year (we normally do that up at the in-laws) Start buying my cheese-making and soap-making supplies, build a chicken run for the coop, get more chickens and ducks, and get ready for rabbits.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?

No, but it would be nice. We would certainly be healthier

37. In what do you trust?

Jesus Christ.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?

Yes, I am quite handy. ;-)

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?

I think it has made me appreciate the cycle of life better. Even when I eat packaged meat and foods, there is a sense of sacrifice by an animal.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Another mommy who has 3 boys! :celebrate How old are your boys? Glad you finally decided to start journaling. Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Noah is 12, Joshua is 9 and Isaac is 6!

3636_100_4980.jpg

marlowmanor

Reaction score
They are handsome boys too! My 3 boys are 5, 3 and 1, and I need to get a new picture of them together! My oldest starts school in August, I am looking forward to it because I will only have 2 home most of the day then, but I am dreading it too.

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I am off today (I only work 2 days a week) so I will be able to spend alot of time with the goats. My new Mini Lamancha, Tingle, is a lot more vocal than my Nigerians but she seems to be adjusting fine. I am keeping her in a separate shelter at night for a couple of days because Mary Jane, my herd queen, went ballistic on her when she tried to come into the shelter the first night. Tonight I am going to go in with them and check things out for awhile. My plan is for her to be fully integrated before the weekend is over. I really hope Tingle adjusts to the "loving dynamic" we have here and gets more affectionate with time. I am not used to an aloof goat. My other two does crawl up in my lap and fight for my attention. If the weather cooperates today I will take some new photos of everyone today and introduce them properly on my journal page to kick it off right...everyone loves pics! :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Enjoyed catching up on your journal.

Lovely boys you have there.

Also congratulations on the new Lamancha Doe, Tingle. What an impressive girl you have there. I saw the pics you posted on the Photo Submission Thread.

Hoping all goes well with the introductions this weekend.

K

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I decided to not do the integration this weekend. I just didn't like the "feel" in the air...I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry. Mondays are my mucking day, when I clean the shelters and buckets. I will get to spend a lot of time with them and watch the interaction for longer periods of time. Mary Jane and Sweetpea are a little confused by the whole situation because the are very loving and affectionate. I don't think they understand why I'm spending so much time with the "new girl"! I'm really trying to win her over but she isn't very trusting. It is going to take a while for her to come around I think.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Very handsome boys. I cannot imagine having 1, much less 3.

I thought 1 female child was rough... :lol:

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Very handsome boys. I cannot imagine having 1, much less 3.

I thought 1 female child was rough... :lol:
LOL! Well, from what I hear, the early years are the hardest with boys. You just have to try to keep them alive!!! Growing up in a family of all girls, (my poor dad) I am happy to avoid as much of THAT drama as possible!!! ;-) We'll see!

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well today I was getting my birthing kit ready. I am very disturbed because some items that I bought I cannot find. I will not be able to buy them and have them shipped before she delivers so I better find them. They have to be around here somewhere! I also gave Tingle a birthing haircut and cleaned out her kidding stall. I cannot believe she did so well for me while I shaved her. My husband helped hold her but she was fairly calm. I am so excited that I get to do all of this all over again with my sweet Mary Jane (she's my favorite). Maybe I'll be an ol' pro before I get to her ;)

Here are some before and after pics of the "birthing cut"

Before...
3636_img_2268.jpg

After...

3636_img_2271.jpg

****What is do ya'll think about her udder??? Being a newbie, I am not sure how to judge. The breeder said that she had excellent milking lines and I am wondering if this is good for a FF???