Judge my ffa goat

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What was the purpose for which you purchased him? If you bought him to show - he is too old for a market wether - will not be showing kids' teeth much longer as required. He is a wether so not eligible for breeding classes. Did you buy him for a pet? If he is a pet, why are you selling him? Confused.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What was the purpose for which you purchased him? If you bought him to show - he is too old for a market wether - will not be showing kids' teeth much longer as required. He is a wether so not eligible for breeding classes. Did you buy him for a pet? If he is a pet, why are you selling him? Confused.
I bought him to show all the weathers here at my school are exactly 9 months right now.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And I am not at all experienced with showing dairy I’ve only shown boers I just decided to try to show a dairy goat for fun.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So these classes are not market classes? Showing for the Jr. livetock auction for meat?

When showing the Boers show like you would show your dairy goat with their legs square under them. On dairy goats you pinch the back slightly to encourage the goat to straighten its back and extend the body without moving its legs. This is best for showing the udder and attachments.

On Boers you don't pinch down the loin to straighten the topline. The topline on a Boer meat goat should have a slight roach in the loin due to loin length. This will cause the illusion of a slight dip in the chine. By stretching out your Boer goat you straighten the top line and make the loin appear shorter and narrower. This is not a good appearance. You want to increase the appearance of thickness and length.

When choosing a meat goat or lamb you want to look for fullness and thickness in the leg from the twist to the hock. This is the most important part of a lamb or goat. The loin is equal in importance since that is where the choicest and most expensive cuts are found on the carcass. You want a very thick, long loin. Shoulders are the next most importance since shoulder roasts and chops are next in cost. The entire anatomy and judging chart of any market animal is based on the most expensive cuts of meat.

Dairy animals are entirely different in structure.

Let us know how you do in your show. Good luck!

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So these classes are not market classes? Showing for the Jr. livetock auction for meat?

When showing the Boers show like you would show your dairy goat with their legs square under them. On dairy goats you pinch the back slightly to encourage the goat to straighten its back and extend the body without moving its legs. This is best for showing the udder and attachments.

On Boers you don't pinch down the loin to straighten the topline. The topline on a Boer meat goat should have a slight roach in the loin due to loin length. This will cause the illusion of a slight dip in the chine. By stretching out your Boer goat you straighten the top line and make the loin appear shorter and narrower. This is not a good appearance. You want to increase the appearance of thickness and length.

When choosing a meat goat or lamb you want to look for fullness and thickness in the leg from the twist to the hock. This is the most important part of a lamb or goat. The loin is equal in importance since that is where the choicest and most expensive cuts are found on the carcass. You want a very thick, long loin. Shoulders are the next most importance since shoulder roasts and chops are next in cost. The entire anatomy and judging chart of any market animal is based on the most expensive cuts of meat.

Dairy animals are entirely different in structure.

Let us know how you do in your show. Good luck!
Thank you my goats looking way better he’s getting lots more muscle and he’s getting skinny and not fat I love how he’s looking I’ll take pictures tomorrow morning I have for days till show!

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great! Remember we will want pictures!!! :yesss:
OOOOOH YESS IM GOING BACK REALLY SOON ITS 3:24 FOR ME nowww and he was freshly shaven and I started at 12:00 and I ended around 2:30 so I shaved him for 2 hours for a perfect shave! He’s got way more muscle after all his hair was gone!