Jumping the Moon Dairy - the next chapter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The coughs went away and no more got sick. I did not use the antibiotics on them as I was just watching and waiting and figured it was the smoke. I will be vaccinating all of them for pneumonia when I do the rest of the herd but it sure is good to not hear the coughs anymore. We got a little bit of rain and it sure did clear the air; it is nice to see blue sky and mountains again.

As far as what I am taking? I just figure that crazy people always have more energy and that would fit me. Tonight I made yogurt...enough yogurt to last until Jan. It keeps really well and that is a good thing as I think I bottled about 60 quarts. I had a little more milk than I thought I did. Only a crazy person would be bottling yogurt at 11:30 PM.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
The coughs went away and no more got sick. I did not use the antibiotics on them as I was just watching and waiting and figured it was the smoke. I will be vaccinating all of them for pneumonia when I do the rest of the herd but it sure is good to not hear the coughs anymore. We got a little bit of rain and it sure did clear the air; it is nice to see blue sky and mountains again.

As far as what I am taking? I just figure that crazy people always have more energy and that would fit me. Tonight I made yogurt...enough yogurt to last until Jan. It keeps really well and that is a good thing as I think I bottled about 60 quarts. I had a little more milk than I thought I did. Only a crazy person would be bottling yogurt at 11:30 PM.

Glad to hear that yours turned out! We tried making yogurt but it didn't set up like the recipe indicated it should- haven't had time to try again.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not wonder woman...just crazy woman. I bottled 95 quarts of yogurt last night. Yep, 95. o_O I am now running a special, buy any milk or cheese and get a quart of yogurt for free.

@Hens and Roos, I do a drinkable yogurt. I have yet to find a goat milk yogurt that gets thick without adding other things, like gelatin or powdered milk. I also heat it to 180° the cool it back down and add the culture at 105°. It has a nice body but not like the stuff you eat with a spoon.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A farm I used to test for got a grant and built a small processing plant to "take advantage of value added products" from the milk they produced. They also produce a "drinkable yogurt" . It is pretty good. But the one thing it is great for "sick bottle calves". Really, it is the easiest way to get the "good bugs" back into a bottle calf's system. It doesn't go through them like milk does and come right back out as scours. It helps to soothe their gut tract, and they seem to be able to actually digest it better than straight milk or milk replacer. Same idea as a person eating yogurt that is taking antibiotics. You might promote the drinkable yogurt to people who raise babies of any kind... as a "tonic" sort of thing.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not wonder woman...just crazy woman. I bottled 95 quarts of yogurt last night. Yep, 95. o_O I am now running a special, buy any milk or cheese and get a quart of yogurt for free.

@Hens and Roos, I do a drinkable yogurt. I have yet to find a goat milk yogurt that gets thick without adding other things, like gelatin or powdered milk. I also heat it to 180° the cool it back down and add the culture at 105°. It has a nice body but not like the stuff you eat with a spoon.

interesting, what culture do you use?