Just doing my research beforehand but how aggressive are pigs?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Uh my friend has a 1000 lb boar. They keep growing... And growing...
Really? What breed? That's insane! My pigs parents only got up to around 700 lb, we'll at least thier father did and he was huge! The mother was just under 680 lb both of them were over 4 years of age and I don't think had put on much size since year three

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Around 300- 500 lb I think at least for females, boars can make it up to 600-700 on the rare occasion 800lb, I'm not entirely sure but hope this gave you a better idea

I was being funny...there is no such thing as a "full grown" pig...pigs are indeterminate meaning they never stop growing much like a reptile. The current world record for biggest pig is 1,948lbs. That being said size is relative to breed a potbelly pig will never life long enough to become 1,000lbs.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really? What breed? That's insane! My pigs parents only got up to around 700 lb, we'll at least thier father did and he was huge! The mother was just under 680 lb both of them were over 4 years of age and I don't think had put on much size since year three

We just borrowed a boar who is easily 600-700lbs and is only 3 yrs old. My gilt Eva is only a year old this past december and weighs at least 400lbs atm.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! Big pig :lol: lol ignore my previous gestimate then, I obviously need to read some more articles before I say anything else :oops:

Don't worry your just trying to learn we all do it, i had no idea pigs didnt stop growing and i had no idea their ears didn't naturally comes with splits in them before i started breeding them. I also had no idea lambs had long tails lol.

FriendsHerd

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow! So many things to learn and take into mind, thank you all so much! I have one more question for now and then I think I'm going to start taking notes on other animals as well! Can you train your pig to come in at night? The way the pen is already set up it's inside the lean-to(new house, most pens are already started we're just going to tweak them to suit the animals we're wanting, I think the previous owners kept cattle or horses in it.) with the option to connect it to a fenced area behind the lean to, if I opened up the pen in the morning, could I train a pig to come back in at night if I called for it?