Kate & Keren to the Goat help desk Please!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ookkkaaay, I did not see that one coming, I'll admit :) I was pretty convinced it was milk neck lol

Glad to see its all working out okay ... if it has burst by itself, what I would do is use a bird feeding needle (blunt end) and simply flush it out with boiled water or saline twice a day. Give him a course of your antibiotic of choice and he should be fine.

The holes you are seeing are not neccesarily bite marks ... they could just be multiple holes from where the abcess has come to a head and burst.

The little guy doesnt look real happy, but honestly that wound looks really really good :)

For what its worth, most of the time you are better leaving abcesses to burst naturally, then flushing them out. Lancing for the most part doesnt help it heal any quicker, and can sometimes cause more trouble.

Thanks for the update (and btw, I love the changed title ;) )

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looks and sounds like a sebacious cyct to me especially since it smelled really bad. I have had 1 do this and we drained it and it was AWFULLL smelly also. CL dont smell and is like a thick paste. If its broken open keep fly spray of some type on it and do give antibiotics to help clear it up. It does take a while to heal.

Griffin's Ark

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh he is going to hate me after a good flushing! I just got him and his brother tamed down and I have the buyer who fell in love with them immediately that wants to see them. He was supposed to travel this weekend for a visit, but he does not go to the buyer 'till the first of August. He is doing real well today, went to pasture with mom and brother. We have the cyst reduced by about half and he doesn't appear anemic anymore. I am pretty sure he is out of the woods, now he just has to keep it clean. I keep telling him he can't go out and head butt the other kids, but a kid just has to be a kid!
:lol:

Chris

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
oh I feel your pain!

One of my permanent residents here - Chaplin my harness wether - had a retained testicle so I couldnt castrate him. He went to the vet, and they did it surgically - found the missing testicle up near his kidneys. He was only 12 wks old and came home to me with a zipper (incision) from the scrotum all the way to the pizzle because they just had to open him up and go searching. Well, I tried to do the right thing and separate him from his brother and two sisters (all bottle babies), that lasted overnight - by the next morning I put them back together because he was throwing himself at the fence trying to get out - he just wanted to bounce and play!