Kid withers shedding

Tinamarie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My 12week old withers have been shedding sense I got them @ 8weeks. I noticed today the one is shedding more than he was. I checked for lice and none was found. They do have very flaky skin on thier topline. I give them free access to loose minerals and hay as well as baking soda. They also have free access to grass as all times. Are they lacking a vitamin? They seem very active and "happy" otherwise. Please help!!!!!
P.s. as u can tell new "mommy"here!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
They quite possibly have mites which are not visible to the eye like lice are.
They should not have baking soda. Baking soda interferes with ammonium chloride. They should have a small amount of feed with ammonium chloride in the feed.
This is important for wethers. Wethers are especially susceptible to Urinary Calculi. Do not over feed grain but a small amount will also give calories and added vitamins etc.
If they are simply shedding their baby coat that is one thing but if excessive hairloss then I would say yes, they are lacking nutritionally.
What kind of minerals are you feeding?
What breed of goat?

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had a similar issue last winter when our local feed store switched the goat mineral they were carrying. The goats weren’t eating the new one. I went to a different store and got a bag of the old brand and after about 2 months everything was back to normal. To repeat Aouthern’s question what mineral are you feeding?