Kidding at night?

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How common is kidding at night? I've had two prior kiddings and both have been daytime. I have a doe whose ligs have been gone since at least 8:00 this morning. I checked her the night before and could still fell them. This morning - gone. I just got home from work and it looks like her mucus plug is hanging out. Do you think she'll kid tonight? I kind of hope not because it's gonna be in the low single digits tonight.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kidding at night is as common as kidding in the daytime. Probably 50-50 chance. :)

If her ligs were gone this morning, and her plug is gone I would say your chances for nightime kidding are quite high.

In those situations, if you don't have a baby monitor out there, we check every hour or so.

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Kidding at night is as common as kidding in the daytime. Probably 50-50 chance. :)

If her ligs were gone this morning, and her plug is gone I would say your chances for nightime kidding are quite high.

In those situations, if you don't have a baby monitor out there, we check every hour or so.
Thanks for the reply. Just checked her and she' s got more mucus coming out & getting restless. Gonna be a long night. Better make some coffee and gather all the heat lamps I can find.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so glad all our girls are so thoughtful.... every kidding we've had has been in the afternoon. :lol:

Hope all went well last night!

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This was a 2 year old Alpine, first timer. She started labor about 6:00 pm. About an hour later, she had a big bubble come out, about the size of a basketball, nothing was visible in the bubble. The bubble broke and only fluid came out. What the heck?! No sign of a baby for about two hours, then saw one hoof. That went on for about an hour, but she did not seen to be in any distress. I gloved up & got the lubricant and went in. I felt one hoof and thought I felt the nose but wasn't sure. Pulled on the hoof and nothing seemed to happen except she started screaming. I finally called our goat guru and she came over about 30 min later and went in & said she felt the nose & both hoofs. She wrangled out a big baby. Then about a minute later, mama pushed out and even bigger baby, looked like a baby Moose! Both were bucklings (future pack goats). This was close to 11:00 pm. The first kid was more lethargic & didn't want to eat. Lying on it's side, not moving much and looking like he was going downhill fast. Tried to help him out, to no avail. Second kid was fine. After almost two hours, I milked some colostrum out of mom into a big measuring cup and put in into the tube feeder I had bought for just such a situation. I pumped about 25 ml of colostrum into his tummy and wrapped him in a heat blanket (was about 5 degrees, but had three heat lamps going in the stall). He warmed up and seemed to be doing much better. I put him under mom & he found a teat and started eating. This was about 1:00 am. Checked them every hour and they did fine. Called in sick from work for half a day today. I'll post pics tonight when I get home. Makes you really appreciate those daytime births with no issues!!!

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sounds to me like everything went good. Just another long night for BYH. Glad they're doing well :thumbsup

Maybe you should have just pulled a "Straw Hat" :lol:

LBFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Both doing well now!
Southern by choice said:
sorry about the buckling..glad the other is doing well! :hugs and :thumbsup