Kidding question...Is she going into labor??

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My goat isnt due until tomorrow (Saturday the 24th). She is a Nubian/Alpine and this is her first time.

To start - last week she started having some white discharge, acting very uncomfortable, and I actually though she was going to kid...She had a very distant look, just standing on her spool, spacing out.
The day after, she looked very skinny again, and was acting normal.

So today, I was thinking she wasn't really pregnant. She was standing up on the fence between the girl's pen and the buck pen, wagging her tail at him, and acting like she was in heat...
I was going to go out and tell her she wasnt really pregnant (really I was just trying to waste time and go play with the girls :) ), and that she was just faking it (this was around 4pm today). I went out there, started my way in the pen, and noticed her acting very off...She ran away from me and hid in the corner - normally she will run right up to me, and try to get the food that isnt really in my hand...So I sat and watched her for a few minutes, and she jumped up on the fence again, curled her head almost all the way back to her back, squatted, and pushed out some clear "gooey" stuff. Her back area is very pink, and looks as if there is a large bump inside...She also keeps jumping up and doing the stretch and push thing.. she separated herself from the herd, and has started some pawing, but not a lot...

Is she actually going into labor, or is she just adjusting again??? Anything else I should be looking for, or should I be keeping a close eye on her? Any idea how much longer?

Sorry for such a long post, but I really want to be able to watch this time!! Trying not to miss it :)

Anyway, any advise would be great!! Thanks!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Do you know how to check her ligaments? When they go soft, it is within 12 hours.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have read how to, and seen pictures, but I cant seem to find what any of it is talking about. If I am feeling in the right place, then she has softened a little, but but not enough to be able to feel all around her spine like everyone keeps saying.... I tried to feel again before I left the house at 7pm, but she wouldnt let me near her...Going to be checking her again in a few minutes...Ill try again when I go out!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I didn't quite get that part, myself. I can clearly feel the two ligaments that are like a pencil running diagonally out from the spine near the tail. Those will get soft and sort of "disappear." If you have another goat, you can feel those ligaments and see the difference.

:pop

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks! I have another young doe in with her so she isnt lonely. I felt her, compared to the pregnant one....The young doe it was pretty obvious, the pregnant doe, I could just barely feel them...I'm hoping that is good!?

As of now, she is starting to settle down a little - she was pacing like a mad woman when I checked her a little while ago, she is starting to stand in one place, pacing less, and starting to get talkative...She has been very quiet all day.

She is doing the stand up, curl back and push thing more often...every 5-10 minutes or so. More clear goopey stuff came out too...She was grunting a little bit when she was trying to pass the clear stuff.

Looks like she is dialated more, and very pink.

If I am looking at it the right way..I would say the kid (or kids!) will be here by the morning...I have been going by the Fiasco website...great info there!
But there is that very likely possibility that my new pregnant goat eyes are looking past something!

I am not patient enough for this!!!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Ha-ha! You won't be sleeping tonight!!!! I expect a blow by blow when I check this in the morning, and pictures of the kids by noon!

:pop

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:D Wasnt planning on much sleep tonight ;) ....I'm thinking of getting a few hours at least, then checking her progress again, then go from there!!

Hopefully there will be pictures by the morning!!!

Thanks a bunch!

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like babies very soon if they aren't already here by now. Anxiously awaiting the good news!

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:barnie

This goat is trying to drive me to insanity...

No Babies yet!!

Though we can add - constant stream of clear goo to the list...

Im desperately hoping she kids this afteroon...When I'm home!! That would be a very goatish thing to do to wait until I'm gone for the day ;)

Ill let you guys know when something happens!