Kidding season at sweet horizon minis

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@rachels.haven thank you! Yes definitely easier to milk when the teats are longer, the first time I hand milked the teats were so tiny on that doe (was a ff) it was so hard lol
I am really excited to see how my 2019 doelings udders look! I’ve got a doeling out of Lillie, cami and aameerah(I don’t own aameerah anymore as she was allergic to something in my fields as was her mom but we’ve had no issues with nala) all of these does I listed have nice teats and/or udders.
Cami’s doeling Eva is who I think I’m most excited to see with an udder. She will really showcase what Charlie throws(hopefully improving) as cami’s udder lacks in fore udder and msl but she has the capacity and nice teat length as well

I’m going to be shaving everybody and getting updated photos in the next couple of weeks

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Shaved 2 of the goats today.
Mishka(black and white buck) and Eva (buckskin doeling)
I do know that atleast mishka isn’t set up perfectly but he is very uncomfortable on a lead so I’m quite happy with these lol he was born 1/9/20 and will be used over most all of my does this year
Eva was born 4/3/2019
876F9972-5D94-4355-81C1-D26F629156CF.jpeg

Mishka^
C04C027D-ADA3-4D57-8858-47D4F47CEB46.jpeg

01961645-3987-430E-B440-7C8ECB1430F5.jpeg
9FF630E1-4864-4C71-9219-25474DADDADB.jpeg

Eva^
Critiques are welcome😁

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No problem! Any questions any time! 😊 Just spent an hour talking goats and explaining conformation and milk stars with one of our goat acquaintance. Totally enjoy it. Lol

Thanks! We do it ourselves, all the coding and so on. The main pages is done with Microsoft expression web, using css I think. Then my dad wrote a program for the doe pages and milk production stuff, Which makes it super easy to update.

Really nice looking goats! Eva has good rear arch and width. Nice and straight legs. Nice top line too. Looks like she will have good teat size! 😊 We are shaving like crazy too! It’s been in the high 80s lately.

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That’s awsome! Wish I was technically savvy😂
Thank you! I’m really excited to see her udder hopefully this fall!

When you get photos of your does in milk how long of a fill do you find you have to do? I do know that it’s different per doe
I’m including photos of the girls udders this morning on a 13hour fill
5A15EA1D-8D49-47A8-9A42-9D91DAAD5F6A.jpeg

Lillie^
3AD6BA59-04B5-419A-98C8-611E69651D60.jpeg

77380C8E-9420-43BE-B621-02EDF38B379E.jpeg

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We usually do a 12 hour fill, which is a normal fill, we milk twice a day. Well, we’ve been milking the does that just kidded three time a day. Then I will just mention on the website that its a 6 hr fill. It makes it easier if their udder is not full Since they behave so much better. On milk test day we get 12 hr fill, but just udder pics for most of them, not full body.
Lily looks nice, nice lats, good teat placement. What # of freshening is she in? How many days fresh?

Sweet horizon Nigerians

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Great! Thank you!
Lillie is a 2nd freshener and kidded on March 22,2020 so she is 73 days fresh(if I can count correctly lol) I did not milk her but maybe 3 times while she raised her kids (my fault not her own) so she has dropped production but is currently getting milked dry twice a day(am/pm) and my brother is letting bella’s doelings nurse off of Lillie at lunch time as a third milking as they get her dry(and they get full).
She had b/d twins her first freshening and quads the second 2b/2d (one doeling didn’t get out of the sac and unfortunately passed away)
Her production went way down when her bucklings left even with me milking her twice a day to try to keep production up and her comfortable and once her doeling left she started drying up almost immediately (around the time bell kidded and I was bottle feeding just moose and kinda worried I wouldn’t have enough milk) Lillie had been giving 1 cup a day then and now she gives 2am, feeds both doelings until they are full and walk off, then between 1&1.5c in the pm.

Quick side railed question lol, what do you find is he best way to weigh milk and what kind of container for it? I have both a hanging scale and a kitchen scale

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, I was wondering Since their udder improves so much from 1st freshening to 2nd. Not that her udder is bad, but if that was a 1st freshening, then 2nd would be amazing in production as well.
If you could find a buck that raises fore udders, you’d have a very nice doeling out of her 😊
We use a kitchen scale for everyday use. Then for milk test, we use a certified farmers market scale.

Latest posts