Kunekune boar/guilt pair aren't breeding

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a purebred kunekune boar and guilt that we've raised together from piglets and they are now 1 yr old but we haven't seen any interest in breeding. I read where if they are raised together that they may take on a brother/sister or roommate relationship and not breed? Any experience with this and suggestions on how to get them to breed? I figured we would just let nature take it's course but nothing seems to be happening, lol.
Thanks!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:idunno

Have you already done the usual?

Watched the female to see if you can tell when she comes into heat? She should have regular cycles at a year of age.

Are they both in good condition? Not too fat? Parasites under control? Male hasn't been way cold or way hot?

Does the Boar show any interest at all when she goes into heat?

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They both look in good condition from what I see online with the charts - we've been hyper aware of their weight the whole time. But I have been checking her and haven't seen any signs of estrus (?) Like swollen vulva, discharge, etc...when I put weight on her back she does stand still (almost like standing heat) though, and makes crazy noises so idk...could she be a late bloomer?

I give them diatamaceus earth in their feed so I thought that would keep parasites under control. They both free range together and run all through the woods - are very active.

I just don't know.

I guess I need to try to seperate them for a while - see if that perks any interest when they're put back together?

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you for your response! :)

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree separating them could get the boar out of the friend zone.

Because they grow and develop so slowly, we don't breed kune kune gilts until they're 18 months old. Even better after 2 y/o. Before that age, piglets are more likely to get stuck. (In human terms, think preteen body vs fully mature adult body.) It also can stunt their growth as they put the energy into the babies instead of their own development.

About what size are they now? If she hasn't had a heat cycle yet, that would explain it, but I'd wait a bit anyway.

We also try to have first litters in the late spring anyway. Better temperatures and easier on first time moms. So if she's 12 months now, that would put her at 18 months at just the right time for spring farrowing.

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is such great info. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I have no idea how much they weight (enough to really hurt when they step on my foot, lol) but they both turned 1yo in April & May. Height they come up to my knees. Here are some pics for size/conformation reference. Their coats are shiny and eyelid insides/gums are pink so I don't think they have a big worm load. Gilt is black, boar is white/black.

I think I'll figure out how to seperate them until end of this year/next spring per the age recommendation and shoot for babies when they'll be 2 next spring (late spring). Maybe I can keep my male Nigerian Dwarf buck with Gus-Gus (our boar) for companionship (?).

Thanks again for the direction-it truly takes a village! :)

God bless y'all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-195135.png
    Screenshot_20220606-195135.png
    972.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20220606-195129.png
    Screenshot_20220606-195129.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20220606-195118.png
    Screenshot_20220606-195118.png
    777.4 KB · Views: 115

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is such great info. Thank you so much for taking the time to share. I have no idea how much they weight (enough to really hurt when they step on my foot, lol) but they both turned 1yo in April & May. Height they come up to my knees. Here are some pics for size/conformation reference. Their coats are shiny and eyelid insides/gums are pink so I don't think they have a big worm load. Gilt is black, boar is white/black.

I think I'll figure out how to seperate them until end of this year/next spring per the age recommendation and shoot for babies when they'll be 2 next spring (late spring). Maybe I can keep my male Nigerian Dwarf buck with Gus-Gus (our boar) for companionship (?).

Thanks again for the direction-it truly takes a village! :)

God bless y'all
Nice looking pair! :clap

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They really are sharp! Love the color patterns! They'll make some pretty babies.

idnatalie11

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wellllllll....Maybe GusGus heard me doubting him, lol...I just noticed Rosita's nipples are looking kinda bigger (?) And she's sitting/laying down a lot. I snapped a few pics for any of you who know what a newly pregnant sow looks like....whatcha think? Think she may be pregnant? If so any idea how far? And if not maybe she's just starting to come into heat?
Thanks!! Trying not to get too excited! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-140708.png
    Screenshot_20220619-140708.png
    701.9 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts