Kunekune Going Downhill Fast

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My fantastic, year-old kunekune boar, Thorin, went from perfect to total crap in two days. :eek: He was totally normal appearing all Friday. Saturday (yesterday) morning, he was *maybe* just slightly less pushy with his mate at breakfast time. (Usually he pushes her away from the food, but he seemed to "share" better than usual.) Last night, he didn't come for his dinner, and I found him lying in his hut. Aside from being off his feed, he looked ok, so I wasn't terribly worried. This morning, he again wouldn't eat, and he looked a little unsteady on his feet + had a bit of goopy white discharge from his nose & eyes. He flopped down in his hut and hasn't moved since. Around noon, I gave him a dose of LA-200, and this evening, I force-fed him 6-8 oz of rehydration solution. I couldn't get him to take more than that. He looks like he's doing his best to die. :(

I have no idea what could have brought him down so quickly! His mate looks fine, and they're the only two hogs on the property. His diet hasn't changed, unless he got into something unusual, though I have no idea what that would be. He's vaccinated against tetanus but nothing else.

I could call the vet in the morning, but I'm really not sure how helpful that would be, since I already have him on antibiotics and some supportive care. And I'm honestly not sure I could haul him into the vet, anyway. I'm torn.

Any ideas what could be going on?

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping that's what it is and that the tetracycline works. I really like that hog and hate to see him suffering.

I don't have any banamine on hand, but I really ought to get some. Thanks for the reminder.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's ok! I checked on him first thing this morning. Boy, was my heart pounding as I walked out to the pigs' yard! After the way he looked last night, I wasn't terribly optimistic, although I knew that if the antibiotic was going to work, the the change could be dramatic and fast...

Anyway, I found him in his hut with his back to me. I called his name, and he grunted then staggered to his feet and stumbled over to greet me! Poor guy definitely isn't feeling himself, but he managed a bit of breakfast, a few sips of water, and a feeble pee. After that, he flopped over at my feet- not sure if he wanted a belly rub or was just plain exhausted but he's on the mend! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20200210_081709924.jpg
    IMG_20200210_081709924.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20200210_081649967.jpg
    IMG_20200210_081649967.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 205

Latest posts