Kunekune Going Downhill Fast

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I could, but I'm honestly ok with the single dose I gave him + monitoring. Like I said, if someone could produce good evidence that I ought to re-dose, then I would, but in the absence of hard evidence, I'm going to sit tight and keep an eye on him.

It's your call. We all do what we are most comfortable with in the case of no vet directions. I think we who have suggested the re-dose do so as it is a "do no harm" follow up and for EACH OF US it was what we felt safe and just additional security. Sometimes we've lost an animal & feel safer doing it. Pneumonia is known to lay there and recur, so that is why our farms do a follow up.

May not be needed. It's cheap precaution for us.

I'm glad he is doing well. I know it's scary to have them just be great one hour and down the next!

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I totally understand that and agree.

That said, and it's a honest question-- I'm truly not trying to be hard-headed but am instead attempting to learn from others' experience-- For those who have re-dosed pig antibiotics: What antibiotic/dose were you using, and why did you re-dose? If it was something you did simply for the reassurance, I can fully respect that. OTOH, if a vet or researcher recommended it, I'd be curious to know that, too.

Like I said, as it sits now, I'm good with the treatment I provided. Thorin is moving along and improving, and if I see a change, then I'll certainly change course... But I do like to learn from others and what works for them. 🙂

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
But I do like to learn from others and what works for them.

We all do and it helps each of us. Just more options.

I always have Penn, LA-200, sulfa tabs (SMZs), tetanus, CDT & Banamine on hand... among the arsenal of meds, liquids and salves. LOL Some gets tossed due to non-use & expiration but, $8 for penn is worth the insurance for a year or two.

For me, with a pig, I would go with a half dose of LA on the 3rd day as by that time the original is at half-life or less, so I'm extending the effects about another 1.5 days. Penn, depends of which type you use...….and the animal. Some animals need different care. PLUS, while a shot is not easy for a person to give a hog, many meds can be given either orally or via anal route and work/absorb as well. Just considerations for future. Banamine is very bitter, so I generally give with some honey, orally. There were instances where injections formed abcesses if given wrongly in horses. It can be SQ or IM.

I don't keep pigs anymore, just chickens goats, mini horses & cats.