Landscape Rake question (to buy or not to buy)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing that you are happy with the purchase and performance? Sure sounds like it saved you a bunch of potentially back breaking work.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am happy with it. It did save a lot of time but on the plus side was that besides making it easier I got some things done better with a whole lot less labor and getting up and down from the tractor.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had the rake on my little Kubota for several days now and it made picking up all the debris a piece of cake. I was able to clear up debris I pulled out of the treeline with a couple of passes that would have been left in place because there was no easy way to rake it up. I find it easier to leave the rake in the "push" position for most of what I did the last few day but I did whip it around to smooth out all of the loose dirt I had scattered around. I had 7 wild cherry trees (about 6-8 inches diameter) in our pasture and I was able to dig and knock them over and get them piled up in a couple hours.

One thing. Be careful when rotating the rake around to change from 'pull' to 'push'--I've seen several people seriously injured when they didn't pay attention where their hands were when rotating it--got them caught between the framework and angle iron that holds the tines. One sheared a couple fingers off. Do try to keep the pivot point lubricated. That's the major wear point, along with the big removable pin and bushing that locks the rake in one position. Your's may not have a grease fitting (mine did not either) but depending how yours is made, you can drill a hole and install one--otherwise, pour some heavy vis oil on it once or twice per year.

Broken tines--they always break at the top where the hole is for the retaining bolt. You can weld them back together and they usually last about as long as a new one. The springiness is mostly down in the curved part anyway.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks again - I need to build a quick 2x4 stand to make it easier to mount it. It isn't all that heavy but it is awkward.