Large family, small farm

LMHarris2000

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good day from Alberta Canada. I moved our family to a small acreage in the fall of 2020. We are a mega family of 14 with only 9 of the 12 children living at home.

We started with a handful of potbelly pigs, some rabbits and a flock of chickens. We have also added goats. Everyone helps around here! The goats are my special project. The pigs are DH and the boys. My oldest girl at home does the rabbits. The chickens have kinda been forgotten but I'm aiming to fix that.

I'm hoping to learn lots and maybe help someone else. I came this way cuz I am trying to leave Facebook with all of its noise. I used to participate in forum regularly before and am so happy to be back.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! I don't do Facebook. Some of my friends have more up to date knowledge of what my grandchildren are doing than I do by following it. LOL

We have had just about every species of livestock in the past 35 years. Now we have white Dorper sheep, a TWH, Josie the Mule, and 3 Anatolian LGDs. We have 6 acres in southern California and are in the process of moving ourselves and our animals to 44 acres in northeast Texas.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome back.

Chores are wonderful to help raise kids right.

I had way more animals when I had more kids at home, since each kid needed at least one outside chore.

I only have the 5 boys. Homeschooled them all up until college. Only 2 are now at home.

For just random chatting the coffee thread is a good place

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh. My -- Alberta cold. 🤣Those used to it, no biggie. Here on coast of VA, I'm a cold wimp. :old
But I've been to your area years ago and it was beautiful!

Sounds like you have plenty of "farm" help. I used to when mine were young. Now, none. 🤣 DGD was 21 this spring and hasn't helped in many years. But you're raising them right to have chores. Mine did as at home kids. Three farms later, all chores are mine...garden, too. 😵‍💫. But they do remember & will pitch in if asked.

Welcome -- post away. You probably have a lot to share.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the other side of VA from @Mini Horses ... we run a cow calf operation, but I have also had many different species of animals over the years... still have chickens, the cows/calves... a couple of nurse cows that I raise calves on, son has sheep and chickens also... My house has 2 acres and we have several farms; some owned and some rented.
Yep, chores are essential for teaching some responsibility and patience with animals.
Bless your heart for such a big family.