Lathargic baby goat

cgrenga

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good morning -

I recently joined the group - hoping to learn some great tips from this group!!
We recently adopted this cutie - meet Chewy! He's one of the family and has four dog brothers.

He is 13 weeks old and has learned to drink from a bowl and is enjoying the fresh (and dead) grass on our property.
We started giving him electrolytes as we wean him off Vitamin D milk - and also offer up goat pellets sprinkled with minerals. He's not fond of the pellets AT ALL!

We noticed yesterday that he was very lethargic and are concerned that he isn't getting enough nutrients. We gave him milk and when we could encourage him to move around he would eat grass. He has diarrhea off and on - which we assumed was the milk.

We are very new to owning a goat - any guidance would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Christy

Attachments

• IMG_1846.jpeg
    IMG_1846.jpeg
    821 KB · Views: 81

hysop

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When you bought him was he still drinking milk? What kind of milk? Also, what was he eating?

Usually goats are weaned at around 8 weeks. I mean more milk doesn't hurt if it's from the mom or something he's used to.

Goats are very sensitive and if you switch their food and environment so fast it takes them a while to adapt especially as babies.

Did you have at least two goats? Goats always need a companion.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We noticed yesterday that he was very lethargic
With a pray animal (like a goat), by the time they are obviously sick... it is usually to a serious point.

I would rush him to the vet.

It could be almost anything.... diarrhea, even a little on a young animal, is serious.

Also... it could be worms... lots of parasites out there.

cgrenga

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When you bought him was he still drinking milk? What kind of milk? Also, what was he eating?

Usually goats are weaned at around 8 weeks. I mean more milk doesn't hurt if it's from the mom or something he's used to.

Goats are very sensitive and if you switch their food and environment so fast it takes them a while to adapt especially as babies.

Did you have at least two goats? Goats always need a companion.
Appreciate your response. I missed the notification - so sorry for the delay.

Yes, he was still drinking whole milk. They told us he was 11 weeks old. They said he wasn't eating real food yet.
He won't eat the goat food, but is enjoying a lot of fresh grass now.

We are thinking it is dehydration - so we continue with the electrolytes and the diarrhea happens less often.

We do plan to get another goat so he has a companion - they only had one left that day. Completely agree that he needs a friend.