Lean hogs

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, remember that breeds and individual genetics have a lot to do with leanness versus fat. Second, pasturing with plenty of grubs, greens, and other forage all while running around will help keep hogs lean. Third, keep the protein levels high (between 12 and 18% depending upon the age), and this should help them continue to gain muscle.

Besides all that: I have found whole or cracked wheat to be a poor feed for hogs... they just poop it out! Cracked corn and roasted soy are much more digestible. Soaking, fermenting, rolling, or grinding would work to make wheat digestible for pigs.

Have not tried planting for pigs specifically yet (though they do get all the garden bits and culls) but this spring I am going to try seeding greens of all sorts and pumpkin over large portions of my yard and pasture to feed to hogs/chickens/sheep next fall. This year my hogs didn't like the green bean plants and pea stalks until they were really hungry.

moffitthill's comments about the dog food are mostly funny to me... feels too processed to feed out to hogs as a regular part of the diet, but as a treat seems like a great idea. That's how a local pig lady gets her bottle babies weaned, sweet feed and dog food. It does make sense though that keeping the protein high would result in leaner pigs.