Let's Look at our Different Feeding Practices *SHEEP*

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
We have a few regular mulberry trees as well, but they're pretty small and young. They've got the shiny leaves. I'd love it if mine were the fruit bearing kind, but the Paper Mulberries have never fruited that I know of. Ours are definitely not planted! They're in a hedgerow between our property and hte neighboring farm. They comprise most of the hedgerow, which we like because it gives us privacy....but we have to deal with the Mulberries. Ack. YOu cut them down and they'll send up 10 new shoots! They seem to do better if you pull them out, but they'll still come back. I think my animals could eat all the time from them and they'd still grow back just as fast. If I was more disciplined I'd cut lots of branches every day and feed them, but it seems I never have enough time. :rolleyes:

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
My sheep are going through their mineral like a mad dog.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day ,I've been away for a while so I'm a bit late on this thread.........

Our breeding block is 300 acs,currently its 14 paddocks,we use a grazing rotation based on "need" when I decide that they need to go to the next paddock.My aim is to not "damage" the crowns of the perennial species,while maximizing the production from the paddock..This spring we were able to achieve a 34 day turnaround cycle on some of our paddocks this was with a stocking rate of 7 ewe's /lambs to the ac......Our whole flock (about 200 breeders plus replacements ) is grass fed,no hay ,no grain and no fert put out on the pastures.

Most of our grasses are Native species and naturalized exotics,we are working towards a 50% perennial based system with a 50/50 mix of warm /cool season species.We have started producing bulk "compost" this year after a small trial last year showed promise.

Boothcreek.Have you considered goats to "tame " the wild rose?What about some structures to control the runoff speed of the water down your "drainage" lines,the idea is to slow it down rather that capture the water with the added benifiets that you retain your "nutrient load" on your paddocks.

Our production system does not "fit" into any one box ,but is a composite of all the available systems.T.O.R...............

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, YES.Also we do not "slash" the residue after the stock is moved.As I stated before,the aim is to protect the perennial crowns,if you slash you expose the "cool season crowns to the "hot" sun and winds,if you slash in the Autumn /Winter you expose the Summer crowns to the frost and extreme cold...So you need the mix of Annuals/all other species to create the standing "dry matter" and encourage "seed set" for next year.....................In one 40 ac paddock we fenced a 3 ac paddock in the middle which "runs to seed" Summer and Winter,this seed is spread by wind and water to the 4 adjoining paddocks to encourage plant diversity over the whole 40 acs.
.............................T.O.R..............................

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
We have 16 sheep . Our "farm" is 60 acres. The north portion of wich is mainly the cheat grass and in unirrogated. This makes it useable in the spring only for the most part. The sheep dont really utilize this. Out pastures are all planted. With what? I haven't a clue. They where probably planted back in the 1910s. They haven't been reseeded in YEARS. Starting with the snow the sheep are generally moved into the pens next to the house and feed hay. Since we haven't had snow yet this year we only have a ewe/lamb pair and ewe close to lambing at the house eating hay.every one else is still in the pastures. Our show lambs/ market lambs eat a a show lamb grain mix. Between 11 lamb we averaged 50 lbs of grain a day.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trio of Babydoll Southdowns on 4.5 acres 24/7 along with a horse and large pony. None get fed anything but horse quality hay. Sometimes I may give them oats as a treat, but that's it.
I tried a sheep block, but they thought it was candy and vanished over the weekend. I don't have money to keep giving it to them until they realize it's not going anywhere and becomes a more regular food and no longer a treat they must eat all at once.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have two Shetland ewes, mystery ages but probably one in her prime and one older. They eat free choice hay cut from our pasture. It is timothy, clover, weeds, brome, thistle, what ever grows without being planted. One cup coarse ground grain - cracked wheat, corn, molasses and I know there is something else but I have to go look at the tag. Plain white salt and clean fresh water, though they really don't drink much that I see. They're in very good shape and I truthfully have never wormed them. They are lawn mowers and pets. They do not receive any hay in the summer and the grain (god help me if I stop) and water stay the same. They are basically free range (they never leave the yard or surrounding few acres and usually can't keep up with the lawn until the end of July, after which they tend to browse the rose bushes around the property and wander the horse pasture. They also eat as many fallen apples as they like when it is that time of year. I do not plan on breeding them at this time so they get a very UNfussy diet. I know they don't need the grain but they drive me nuts, so they get a little. I believe they are adapted to way worse conditions! LOL

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Edited to reflect my current feeding practices.
My sheep used to live at my neighbor's farm, but now they're here at my house on pasture and in a dry lot. We have 2 acres of unimproved/native pasture.

Everybody has access to free choice loose minerals with zinpro and fresh water daily. Grain fed is a 16% textured sheep feed from Southern States.

This is my feeding program for my flock:
MAINTENANCE (mid April - late September)
*Flock has access to pasture.

BREEDING (late September - late October)
*Ewes get 1/2 lb of grain per head per day for 34 days (17 days pre-breeding and 17 days into breeding), starting with 1/4 lb of grain per head per day for the first two days and ending with 1/4 lb of grain per head per day for the last two days.
*Ram does not get grain.

EARLY/MID GESTATION (late October - early February)
*Flock is given 2.25% of their pre-breeding body weight in grass hay each day when penned up for the winter (roughly late December - mid January).

LATE GESTATION (mid January - early March)
*Ewes get 1/2 lb of grain per head per day for the last 30 days of gestation, starting with 1/4 lb of grain per head per day for the first two days and ending with 1/4 lb of grain per head per day for the last two days.
*Flock is given 2.25% of their pre-breeding body weight in grass hay.

LACTATION (mid February - mid May)
*Ewes get 1/2 - 1 lb of grain per lamb they are nursing (amount of grain is dependent upon the ewe's frame size, condition, and growth rate of lambs).
*Flock is given 2.25% of their pre-breeding body weight in grass hay.
*When grass returns (mid March - late April), flock has access to pasture.

GROWTH
*Lambs have access to hay or pasture depending on their dam's diet.
*Ewe lambs are raised on solely pasture.
*Ram lambs are removed from pasture at 3 - 4 months old and are moved into a dry lot and fed grass hay and a little bit of grain.
*Sometimes lambs are creep fed.

DRY LOTTED SHEEP
*Given 2.25% of their body weight in grass hay.
*Will be provided supplemental grain depending on body condition.