LGD HELP!!

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was talking to my dog friend about a problem I'm having with me new LGD. Her is our conversation. I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I can also go into more detail if needed. I do know some stuff but am no expert, this was just a quick back story

So I got a male to replace Maggie since she is getting older and I wanted the new one to know its job and maybe Maggie could help teach before she retired. My mama showed me this male in Farmington. A year old, born in a barn, the lady had him with goats, pigs, alpacas, and horses.. i guess she didn't have him 24/7 with them yet one reason being the alpaca boss didnt like him near the herd. I got him as he seemed like a very friendly boy, hyper, but hes a pup.
Well, I didnt put him with the sheep until day to but he was on a pen right by them so he could see and observe. Once he did go in he was scared silly of them, and then the barking started, non stop at the sheep. The barking has gotten better, but then he chewd up my stock tank heater, and now hes jumping out of pens, ive tried 3 different ones. I think turbo (my house puppy) was part of the problem, but Maggie never jumps! The impression from observing sammy is thay he would rather play all day and be away from the sheep then do his job. My question is though, is this just a faze since hes young, or does this mean i should get rid of him because hes too old now and wont be a good lgd? Or maybe I'm just biased because Maggie is so good. :( i dont want to give up on him, but I also didn't spend all that money just for another "house dog".

This was my dog friends response
If he is a year old he should know his job by now. My opinion. Doesn’t sound like she actually had him in there as much as she said. He needs to stay with his flock. So either he stays in on his own or a hot wire has to be put on top. If you wanted to try to keep him and make it work that is.

My reply
I was thinking that too, he was in a kennel in the barn and it seemed like she let him out and then he went back in. I could try a wire but do you think he would even be worth it? Or do you think with his age hes pretty much "ruined" for lack of a better word
And I tried to keep them separate but he ended up getting to Maggie and they tied. So I may be having pups. In that case I could keep one of them if you feel Maggie could better teach. I have an appointment for her on the 8th for a swab test in centeria

Her
I really can’t say. I’m not an expert on LGDs. I paid $650 for mine and made sure I got them from an actual shepherdess that’s been doing it her whole life.

Me

Right, I do understand that they need to be with them at all times. I know you dont have to listen to the old wives tail of no touching, no vet, etc. But you definitely cant play with them like a usual house dog

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had our 4 year old Maremma LGDs since they were 5 months old. We paid a lot for them, and they were worth every penny.

You have a lot going on with your year old pup. You didn’t say what breed he is. I’m no expert, but I would think that the person you got him from, crating him, did him no favors. LGDs need to be with their livestock 24/7. The fact that he is jumping the fence, is not good, but I don’t think you should give up and get rid of him, just yet.

Since I am not an expert, I don’t want to advise you, but we have members here, on BYH, that are better equipt to do that. I know there are several, but the first one to come to mind, who has experience breeding and training LGDs is @Southern by choice. I know she is really busy, but maybe she can give you some suggestions, to get you going in the right direction with your teenager.

And BTW, our two LGDs love nothing better than being loved on, by us. But, they are totally on duty when we go in the house. They know that when they sound off, if coyotes come near, especially after dark, that we will come out with the spot light and or shot gun and back them up.

Last edited:

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ive had him a 3 weeks and its been trouble the whole time.
Maggie is 6 or 7 never got a birthdate

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And sammy is a maremma. I just tied him up because he keeps running away and he snapped the lead. I'm just getting the vibe that he would rather be a family dog bs lgd

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And I'm gone 12 hours a day for work, so keeping a close eye is hard. Hes in my basement right now. I know that wont help but I cant have him running the roads

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I dont want to get rid of him but it seems more and more likely that is what will happen, and if Maggie does have pups I could just let her raise them outside. She will be giving birth around Christmas though so I'll probably let her birth in the house and then when it gets warmer she can go back out with them

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you tell me what you are doing to ease his transition?
A shepherd must bond with the guardian to establish trust. Through trust and relationship the working dog can become a working dog.
Even dogs that have worked and really been an established working dog, will take time to adjust. To know the livestock and boundaries.
You must be the one to establish the trust and bond with the dog, showing the dog it's a mutual partnership.

Now you have a possible bred bitch. Who will raise them? A shepherd spends their time raising the pups.
From those pups the shepherd will pick those dogs that are LGD material.
Your 1 year old very well could be LGD material, then again maybe not. It sounds as if though he came from someone that had no clue, didn't raise him correctly and did not build that relationship.

The majority of "breeders" out there do not do any shepherding of their pups but breed, sell, and assume all will be well.

So, the cycle will go on and this dog will end up in a shelter and euthanized because clearly not one person did what they should have.
You have to put in the work. It will take time, so this is simply a matter of how much you are willing to do.

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I kept him away from the sheep for a few days but let him observe, then I put him in. It just seems like he doesn't want to bond with the sheep at all, the fact that he keeps getting out where Maggie wants to stay in and hates coming out but would rather stay in. All sam wants to do is play with my house dog.
Maggie would raise the pups but I would also help.
Im not one to give up an a animal but I also dont need another "house " dog, i wanted a guardian. And i most certainly dont want him put down. I want whats best for him. Thats why i wondered about a house with kids, and be a family guard dog, not livestock

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to be with him and partner, not just turn him out and magically expect him to know what you want. BOND with him, love him, be with him while out there.
Sound like this dog has had no real interaction and is releasing stress the best way he knows how and the play is because he probably hasn't been allowed to do much if he has been stalled.

Latest posts