LGD on Small Property

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Premier 1st supplies has neat electric fencing supplies. We have chickens. We didn't build a huge coop for them. We build a small coop with run. We used 1/2 x 1/2 inch hardware cloth instead of just wire. It keeps the sparrows out, raccoons, foxes, and bobcats out. We laid a foot of wire down outside, and put it down with spikes so they won't dig in. You could do just a small coop, and use a portable electric netting to make the run, and then with an automatic coop door they could go in at night, and come out during the day. Premier has this. They also have sheep, and goat electric netting. As far as coop plans, My Pet Chicken has some neat ones.(including the runs)

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, @Reindeermama! The coop plans are basically done. We're going to have two separate flocks. The coop will be split in three with a space for each flock and a space for grow outs. Laying wire around the perimeter of the run was suggested in another post. It's something I hadn't thought of and is a great idea! I planned on hardware cloth to keep birds and rodents at bay. I like the idea of automatic coop doors but that may have to wait. They're not cheap and I don't think I could rig one up.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your summer temps are not near as bad as mine, we get well over 100° and 115° isn't unheard of. Even with an open barn my goats don't sleep in it at night, they lay outside where it is cooler.

I have mixed breeds. Sigueme is my oldest, she is Anatolian/Ovcharka/Akbash/Pyr.
Francis is next, he is 1/4 Anatolian and 3/4 Pry.
Mia is Anatolian/Ovcharka/Akbash/Maremma.
Alondra is Anatolian.

I am not naive enough to think that LGDs don't bark as I have heard too many stories. But I have also spent a week with @Southern by choice and her dogs don't bark either...her geese make more noise than her dogs. :lol: I know that it can happen but I don't know why some bark incessantly and some don't. Sigueme was about 6 months old before I even heard her bark.

I also know that my hot wire is why my dogs and goats don't challenge fences. I was working on it yesterday and Francis was very nervous watching me, he stayed well clear of that wire. Mia won't go over any gate or fence, Alondra would climb the world given a chance and Sigueme will find every gap under the fence faster than you can imagine, but a well placed wire stops that and even if it isn't working they still keep away from the fence.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I lived in Sacramento for over 20 years so I am familiar with that kind of heat. We don't get nearly that hot here. The winds in the valley help cool it down nicely.

Geese are obnoxious :lol: I'll leave it at that!

We will definitely have hot wire on top of the fence and IF we ever have pigs we'd put one 6in from the ground.

Latest posts