LGD...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
LGD's are dogs still, which are pack animals. They play together, works their skills, and work as a team.
More issues come along with having only 1. The dog gets blamed, then it gets rehomed.
Getting one dog opens you up for way more issues with behaviors undesirable. Dog goes off wondering, escapes, chases livestock etc.

Side note and I wish someone had told me this before I got Ben neutered....that oft times LGD breeds can develop fear of loud noises after neutering.
It is not unique to LGD breeds, it is all breeds, typically male. There has been no correlation however to spayed females.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I did not get those 2 pyr pups....I think someone else bought them this weekend (they already had made arrangements to look at them). It's fine, because the person selling them told me they were both female.

I have been reading as much as possible on LGDs (mainly about Pyrenees) and it is recommended to have 2, one of each sex. I can't seem remember the source, but one author advises this because same sex pairs almost always end up fighting with each other......serious fights.

I'd like to hear from more members of BYH as far as their own personal experiences with LGDs.....specifically what they have found to be pros/cons of their own situations concerning keeping 1 vs.2 LGDs, how far they would travel what they are looking for, age they recommend acquiring the dogs and same or opposite sex pairs.

I have found someone 4 hrs from me with a male/female pair of puppies that are working stock and have been living with chickens/peacocks/ducks/pigs/sheep/cows successfully. Both parents are on site.
The price is in my range and I'm planning on driving down this weekend......I could say "Just to look", but with all things seeming exactly what I want, that's probably a lie.

I still would like as much advice as possible because I value other livestock/LGD keepers opinions.......For your enjoyment, a pic of one of the puppies from this litter....as well as pics of the parents.
FB_IMG_1566188432735.jpg
FB_IMG_1566188582679.jpg
FB_IMG_1566188588736.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are some cute pups! I have 2 GP’s, love them. The female is fierce, kills snakes, leaps in the air snapping at hawks and will kill any invader in her space. The male is more laid back. Both defend their territory, Sheep and chickens.

My education came from this forum. Read all the threads you can. There is a lot of information here. Start a journal for your pups in the LGD forum. Ask questions, you will get answers. People here want to help you, your dogs, and your animals that need protection.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Came to ANOTHER decision today! We decided the second set of pups is just too far to travel. What if they aren't really what we expected? It would be an 8 hour round trip. I know that might not be a big deal to some, but that's a long time in a vehicle for me.

There has also been a spot of worry in my brain about getting 2 LGDs that are just puppies. First, I have a horrible raccoon problem.....would they attack the puppies? I know an adult raccoon can seriously injure a full-grown dog....I also really want some progress now in cutting down the raccoon population...puppies won't do that right away.

So I started thinking about finding an adult pyr that is already trained with livestock and also get a youngish puppy.....that way the adult can teach and protect the puppy and when the adult gets older/passes, I'll still have one trained adult and can add a puppy for it to train.

I didn't see many other pyrs close by, so I picked up the local trader paper this morning. I scanned the puppy section (many puppy ads, only 1 for pyrs....which turned out to be Pyrenees/Great Danes...)
I went on to the adult dog section....no pyrs..

Finally, I thought, "May as well quickly look at the free pets section."..not expecting to find anything. But the third ad was for a FREE 5 year old female Pyrenees! I called the number and made sure to ask, "Is she been a house dog or a working dog?", hoping the man would answer honestly, not knowing what I was looking for. She is indeed a working dog, has lived outdoors her entire life with any kind of farm animal you can think of! They are rehoming her because they have her loose on part of their property that isn't fenced and she keeps getting out in the road and chasing motorcycles or bicyclists. They have already had the sheriff called once or twice and been warned. They want her to go.to someone who will really love her and who has livestock for her to guard. The man also told me they have 4 of her pups (2 male, 2 female) for sale/ready to go! And they are only 45 min from me! I think this is what I have been looking for!

Both are up to date on all vaccines and I will have the momma spayed asap. I won't worry so much about little puppies out there at the mercy of angry raccoons! Mom can help with training and by the time she is 10, he will only be 5.

I know a lot of you might be thinking, "OMG!! You are SO wishy-washy and don't REALLY know WHAT you want!" Yes, I did get VERY excited about both sets of those pups and wanted to rush right out and buy each pair in turn. BUT, there was that little, bothersome feeling of neither set being right for me....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is even better! You are not wishy washy at all. You listened to that tiny inner voice that told you this is not the right dog(s) for you……..
And what do you know? There she was, just waiting on you to find her. :love It just doesn't get any better than that. :weeeNow instead of you muddling along, trying your best to train a pup, you have a mature dog that will train YOU. You have already shown that you have the intuitive inner feelings that are like an extra sense and that is so valuable when you have animals. It is even more valuable when you have LGDs. You are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime.:yesss:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If your feelin it go for it...you are pretty dog experienced with 7 house dogs....
LGD's are independent thinkers, you need to partner with them, talk with them and build trust.....don't expect them to behave like your house dogs, these creatures are thinkers. Read all you can about the breed and spend time in your field / pasture with your .LGD. let them know you work together.....
Ask questions and post pictures when you get them, good luck :)

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is even better! You are not wishy washy at all. You listened to that tiny inner voice that told you this is not the right dog(s) for you……..
And what do you know? There she was, just waiting on you to find her. :love It just doesn't get any better than that. :weeeNow instead of you muddling along, trying your best to train a pup, you have a mature dog that will train YOU. You have already shown that you have the intuitive inner feelings that are like an extra sense and that is so valuable when you have animals. It is even more valuable when you have LGDs. You are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime.:yesss:
I am EXTREMELY excited about happening upon this adult Pyrenees needing a home! Being active in dog rescue my entire life, I have always balked at buying a puppy from a breeder. I was feeling a little guilty about buying purebreed pyr puppies.....although I do fully understand that there are circumstances (similar to mine) that warrant buying a purebreed puppy. I needed an LGD breed.....a dog I would be confident in leaving loose with my livestock. Finding this girl needing a safe, loving home with a job for her to do just seems meant to be!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If your feelin it go for it...you are pretty dog experienced with 7 house dogs....
LGD's are independent thinkers, you need to partner with them, talk with them and build trust.....don't expect them to behave like your house dogs, these creatures are thinkers. Read all you can about the breed and spend time in your field / pasture with your .LGD. let them know you work together.....
Ask questions and post pictures when you get them, good luck :)
Thank you! I can't wait to meet them on Saturday!!

germanchickTX

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi, I actually would not recommend two pups and/or siblings at the same time, they are or may be bonded too much together instead bonding with you as their Shepard.
Plus you will need separate training time for each of them, that’s a lot of time.
And even if they come from good working parents, they still need training and guidance.
I very much would recommend to search on FB or MeWe for the (closed) group „Farei Kennels LGD Training & Education“.
You will have to answer some entry questions before you get approved.
This group is awesome, their philosophy and methods work. They are for people that truly want to learn and put the time in; and tell it as it is, no Sugar coating.
Check it out!

Latest posts