list of foods safe for feeding rabbits?

daniel-delarosa

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There is a list of treats on the BYC for chickens, I was wondering if there was one for rabbits.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
daniel-delarosa said:
There is a list of treats on the BYC for chickens, I was wondering if there was one for rabbits.
I haven't read everything in the Rabbit Section of this forum, and maybe there is something in there, but we can start another if you like. Treats are always good to help bond with any animal.

Here's something I found in my research. As always because of rabbits sensitive dietary systems, we must be careful. I think this has some great ideas to give treats to your rabbits. :)

Edited: Took out pet and replaced as rabbit. You raise yours for meat right? Though they are meat, giving any rabbits (meat, pet or show) treats is an excellent idea. Especially greens and fruits along with oats and wheat. Gives them a variety which I know my rabbits enjoy. I haven't started fruits yet, but will when they are around 6 months.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2190923_make-nutritional-rabbit-treats.html

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Mine like apples..they dont recieve a full one but maybe 2 slices (i have flems). I also give them baby carrots, oh and they love oatmeal...when its colder than normal and during the winter, I make them hot oatmeal...they love it and it warms their tummies...we have a large supply of blackberries and often times i will give them leaves and bberries and they love that too. I dont give them alot as i dont want tummy upset. If you give them a little more each time, its easier on them. Much like us, if we eat something outside of our daily menu we often times have a little tummy upset. I also pick green grass for mine when they dont get to go out in the play pen.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
chickenrunnin said:
Mine like apples..they dont recieve a full one but maybe 2 slices (i have flems). I also give them baby carrots, oh and they love oatmeal...when its colder than normal and during the winter, I make them hot oatmeal...they love it and it warms their tummies...we have a large supply of blackberries and often times i will give them leaves and bberries and they love that too. I dont give them alot as i dont want tummy upset. If you give them a little more each time, its easier on them. Much like us, if we eat something outside of our daily menu we often times have a little tummy upset. I also pick green grass for mine when they dont get to go out in the play pen.
At what age did you start your bunnies on fruits? I'm thinking of starting my Dwarfs pretty soon (around 5 - 6 months). I started greens at 3 months in very small portions. Thanks. :)

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I started mine once they were weaned from momma. I gave just a little bit, more of a taste of all things I listed above. They became interested as momma was recieving things as a treat, then at weaning time, they would come as it was their treat too.